Sudden limp - anything to look out for?

porokelle

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
Our first chickens and our first trip to the vet!

One of our girls, about 6.5 months old, has developed a limp (only putting weight on the front of her right foot). We've taken her to the vet and been given some metacam, isolate her so she doesn't keep using the leg, and come back in five days if she's not better. I'm being the every worried chicken mum, so wanted to get any other advice of things to look out for.

So she started with a small limp yesterday (we missed it on the day but checked a video we had taken that showed a slight limp). We noticed she was further from the flock and sleeping during the day, which they've done from time to time, especially in the sun. But at the time she looked quite exhausted.

Today I thought I saw her her hobble a tiny bit around lunch and made note to check in an hour. In the afternoon, I noticed the other girls running and playing in the back of the yard, while she stood still in the front. I brought some treats and then noticed the heavy limp. We made an appointment for the vet, and while we waited, she didn't walk around much, mainly laying down and sleeping.

She's hungry, eating and drinking, wants treats, wants to hang out with mum and sisters, and preening well.
No droopy wings, eyes are clear, poop is normal, nothing obvious on the bottom of the foot or leg (in fact she freaked out more when holding the good leg rather than the bad). The vet said her keel is a bit more pronounced than she expected.
She's either 4th or 5th in the pecking order of 5 birds, so she's often a bit more standoffish.
She, mum, and sisters have been running around the yard like mad for the past two weeks (we expect their puberty and about to start laying in June), so wondering if she just pulled something.

I can also post video of the limp.

Thank you

Since she's under vet care, I'd follow their instructions.

Hopefully it's just a sprain or injury which will resolve with your care and attention.
You can offer a little extra protein and 1/4 tablet B-Complex for a couple of weeks to give her a boost.

At her age, Marek's disease is a possibility as well, if you lose her, then having a necropsy would give you that info.

Since she's under vet care, I'd follow their instructions.

Hopefully it's just a sprain or injury which will resolve with your care and attention.
You can offer a little extra protein and 1/4 tablet B-Complex for a couple of weeks to give her a boost.

At her age, Marek's disease is a possibility as well, if you lose her, then having a necropsy would give you that info.
Thank you.

She's doing a bit worse this morning with holding the leg up against her, trying not to put any weight on it, but we've brought her inside for the next few days to a playpen and propped her on some towels.

I'll try making scrambled eggs for the protein and will look at getting some B complex.

Her eyes are clear and she's got a good curl/grip of the feet still, no wing or comb paralysis, so fingers crossed not Marek's. But I know that can present differently, as well.

Just following this up in case anyone else is looking for their own chicken issues at some point -
Seems like it was just an injurred leg. She remained in the house for about 3-4 days, had metacam the whole time, told us basically when she was ready to return, jumping out of her indoor pen. We kept her in the small area with the flock so she couldn't injure her leg too much, got bullied a bit by the others but is good now. Still slower and limps from time to time, but very slightly if has been running around. Otherwise, good and healed, hopefully.

My 10 wk buff suddenly lost use of her right leg. No other issues. On day 5 now. Have seen two vets, neither one had experience with chickens. Had X-rays and bloodwork. Nothing was found. Put her on carprofen. She can not curl her toes when we bend her leg. Her leg just seems lifeless. Any help would be appreciated.

My 10 wk buff suddenly lost use of her right leg. No other issues. On day 5 now. Have seen two vets, neither one had experience with chickens. Had X-rays and bloodwork. Nothing was found. Put her on carprofen. She can not curl her toes when we bend her leg. Her leg just seems lifeless. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome To BYC

Do you have a thread about her? If not, then it may be a good idea to start one so you can add photos/video, list symptoms, tell us about feed/nutrition and any types of treatments you have tried.

Back
Top Bottom