Sudden roosting in run at night?

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
I have 3 adults hens who are almost 3 years old. 2 cuckoo Marans and 1 cinnamon queen.

Tonight I was with them before sunset and 2 of them hopped up on the chair I have in the run, as the other made her way to the coop. It seemed unusual the other two weren’t interested in going in, but I went inside and figured I’d check in them later. (We have an automatic coop door.)

Well, I checked my cameras and 2 of the ladies were roosted on the chair. 1 was in the coop by herself.

I also got to thinking about the amount of poop I found on the chair this morning. I thought it was odd and now I realize they probably slept outside last night too.

I checked for red mites by running my hand under the roost and didn’t see any signs of mites. I also checked for signs of other critters and didn’t see anything… no signs of mites/lice on the hens. No bumblefoot. 1 roost bar is narrow side up approximately 12 inches from the ground. Other is a few inches higher with wide side up. I use a very thick bedding of pine shavings. There is plenty of ventilation. No changes have been made to the coop, other than losing 3 flock mates.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
The roosting bar with the skinny side up probably would serve the chickens better if it were turned to the flat side up for more support and comfort.

If the total roosting space is limited, it can cause stressful conflict. Chickens generally require more than the one foot of roosting space than the one foot that "experts" usually recommend. That and a consummate bully with resulting conflict are the most common reasons why chickens may decided they don't want to roost in the coop.

Have you also examined the chickens' skin for signs of mite bites? It would appear red and inflamed. Also, the way to check a roost after dark for mites is to run a white damp rag over the top of the bar. It will come away reddish if mites are present.

Is this the first time it has happened?
Was it near dark when you went inside?
Did they maybe miss the door being open?
Today is now the 3rd day it’s happened. When I posted this, it was near dark so when I left, I figured they’d get down and go inside.

Today I came home from work and the same 2 of my 3 were posted up in the chair again. I opened the door to see if they would respond and they happily stayed on the chair.

Yesterday I put a small nightlight in the coop thinking maybe they wanted that (when they’re laying I leave it on because they can’t see to make it in the nesting boxes at the wee hours.) that didn’t seem to help since they didn’t go in tonight.

I did test with a damp white cloth last night for mites- no sign of mites. I don’t see any opening for critters and our floor has 1/2 inch hardware cloth under there. We also buried some to prevent digging. So nothing should be able to get in. Although, I guess if something managed to get under the coop, it could be making noise and scaring them.

I might take the chair out and see what happens tomorrow night.

Chickens sure do keep you on your toes! 😂

Yesterday I put a small nightlight in the coop thinking maybe they wanted that (when they’re laying I leave it on because they can’t see to make it in the nesting boxes at the wee hours.)
So this light is on ....during what times of the day/night?
Are there no windows in the coop for natural daytime light in the coop?

I might take the chair out and see what happens tomorrow night.
That's a good idea.
If that doesn't work, put them in manually until they get back with the program.

Yes, I think what you're mainly dealing with at this time is habit. Removing the chair is a good start. But when you see them trying to roost on something else, that would be the time to grab them off it and put them into the coop, perhaps even installing them on the perch.

Chickens love their habits. It very hard to get them to change once they've adopted the habit.

So this light is on ....during what times of the day/night?
Are there no windows in the coop for natural daytime light in the coop?

That's a good idea.
If that doesn't work, put them in manually until they get back with the program.
Yes, there’s 1 window in the coop. The little night light is on at night with a peice of cardboard over it to diffuse it so it’s not too bright. It’s dark sensing so only comes on at night. I just put it back in there thinking maybe it was too dark in the coop compared to the run which has solar lights strung on the outside.

Yes, I think what you're mainly dealing with at this time is habit. Removing the chair is a good start. But when you see them trying to roost on something else, that would be the time to grab them off it and put them into the coop, perhaps even installing them on the perch.

Chickens love their habits. It very hard to get them to change once they've adopted the habit.
Little rascals! I’ll keep moving them back to bed.😂

Yes, there’s 1 window in the coop. The little night light is on at night with a peice of cardboard over it to diffuse it so it’s not too bright. It’s dark sensing so only comes on at night. I just put it back in there thinking maybe it was too dark in the coop compared to the run which has solar lights strung on the outside.
If I hung lights on my run every one of my hens would roost outside.They love lights.

Back
Top Bottom