Sudden swollen ankle

CuddleNest

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Germany
Clyde is enjoying his first spring as a drake (more on that later), and he gets really rough with the girls. Today we had all the birds including the chickens out free ranging in the yard to enjoy the sun, which usually helps the situation. I noticed him running around a few times during the day. Around dinner time, I noticed a limping bird pass the back door window and figured that Clyde was too aggressive with one of the girls again. But when I went out to check, I found Clyde standing on his right foot, only gingerly putting the left one down, and limping when he walked. We caught him and noticed his left ankle is swollen and warm.

At first I considered an infection, since I read about it in several posts before, but I later thought an injury might be more probable due to how fast it started and his crazy behavior. He is now inside resting in the shower with water, food, and no girls. I’ve attached some pictures. If something were broken, would he be able to put weight on it? He is standing for the pics but I found him sitting..having his left foot somewhat to the side and not under his body completely. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I might be able to get into the vet on Friday, but until then, I don’t know what to do…thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 000BBDAC-A7AD-4659-9BE9-71700F875C38.jpeg
    000BBDAC-A7AD-4659-9BE9-71700F875C38.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 25
  • E963B34E-B18A-4D29-98CA-778F0CAFE9B3.jpeg
    E963B34E-B18A-4D29-98CA-778F0CAFE9B3.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DDCFC910-3B1B-4829-B822-91C737BE2B2D.jpeg
    DDCFC910-3B1B-4829-B822-91C737BE2B2D.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 4
Clyde is so handsome. It may be a sprain so warm Epsom salt soaks should help with swelling and inflammation. If possible use a bucket and just hold onto him while he soaks that way he won't be able to drink the water which will have a laxative effect on him.Keep him in a small area so he has to rest that leg and not be chasing the girls down. If you have any Meloxicam he can have that for pain. If you don't notice any change for the better by end of week it might be a good idea to let the vet examine him. I don't think he'd be able to put weight on his leg if it was broken. Maybe a slight fracture. Just hard to know.

Clyde is so handsome.
Thanks! :love I think so, too, but the girls don't see it yet.:idunno
Ooh a sprain...yes, also possible. He has been so wild, he tries to fly and doesn't land well unless it is in the water, so perhaps he sprained it when landing or something.

I just checked, and I do have Meloxicam. Do you know approximately how much to give per pound/kg?

I'm in Germany and didn't find pure epsom salt right away, but I did find lavender epsom salt (for people...at some point I was also supposed to soak my foot or something). Maybe Clyde and I can both dip in the bucket for a bit (unless you think the lavender might be weird or a problem for him). Thanks for the heads up about drinking the water.

To keep him in a small space and isolated from excitement, Clyde is going to be in the shower (aka duck clinic) for a few days...alone! The floor is slightly heated, so that he won't get a chill, and I can wash everything down pretty fast.

Thanks for much for your advice! I'll let you know how it goes!

So, after days of limited movement, the pain killer, and epsom salt baths….Clyde‘s joint was still swollen, and he really didn’t want to put weight on it. It was also rather warm.

We got him in with the vet today. She said the bone is intact, and the swelling isn’t due to an abscess on his foot. She noticed that his skin is rough on some parts of his feet and thought maybe some germs got into his foot that way…and made it to his joint. She checked his lungs, and he has no infection there..though he was honking at us the whole time. He is somehow underweight by about 150g…which we need to watch a bit. I’m giving him some chick food now with his other stuff.

She prescribed swimming while in confinement, baytril, and more meloxicam…and we need to go back in a week. This doesn’t seem like a bone infection exactly…does anyone have experience with it? I get the feeling I’ll be sharing my shower with Clyde for several weeks….

Back
Top Bottom