Sudden virtuoso performance?

ci_cyfarth

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
Columbia, MO
Hey all!

My flock of four turned fourteen weeks old on Monday. That's a little young for laying -- the rule of thumb I've heard is around 20 weeks -- though I'm guessing it's not entirely out of the question. They've all got their grown-up voices, and generally cluck quietly to each other unless something exciting is afoot (like me coming over with a handful of freshly picked grass) or something has them worried.

This morning, I was in the house and heard one of them really rocking out with a "bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk-BAGAWK-bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk!"

I ran outside to make sure there wasn't some kind of actual hazard disturbance, and found Vicki, my Buff Orpington, back inside the coop and pacing the roost while continuing to vocalize at full volume. Worried that there might be something IN the coop, I ran back inside, put shoes on, and came back out to check. When I returned, Vicki was back out in the run with the other three chickens, merrily pecking away at random stuff in the run substrate as per usual. I checked inside the coop and run for anything out of place and came up empty-handed.

Are sudden vocal performances a thing? Is this the egg song? Should I be worried that something is amiss?

I've found that my flock has a call very similar to the egg song, but they use it as an alert, or when they get separated from the group. It's usually a string of 'Bawks' followed by one big 'BAGAWKA.' 14 weeks is too early for egg-laying, even in the precocious hybrids, so I'm guessing your lady just got worried about something and was voicing her concern.

This makes sense! I'm not sure why she went back into the coop, but she was in there alone, and -- I feel terrible saying this -- maybe got confused about why she was suddenly by herself?

She'd quieted back down by the time I came back to find her with the rest of the flock. So.

that happened to me this morning. i have had my chickens for a few years but never heard a scream like i did this morning. I ran outside to make sure it wasnt that dang mountain lion again. everything was perfectly fine and she was just standing there screaming. they are acting strangely today though..........earthquake coming?

Lol, I wish my chickens were that infrequent with their 'WHAT'S HAPPENING?!' song. Every time I hear one of the ladies sounding off I have to drop what I'm doing and dash out to check that everyone is ok. Usually the offending lady will then follow me around and pester me until I have reunited her with the flock.

They also tend to gather around and form a chorus whenever I clean out their coop. Apparently the loss of all that poo is VERY. UPSETTING. OMG.

Back
Top Bottom