Suddenly Aggressive Dog

If I understand right she is only fixed and not neutered. This means her ovaries are still working which might be the reason for the aggressive behaviour.

Another reason could be a tumor. Our neighbors had a Dogo Argentino bitch which suddenly turned very aggressive - long story short: she suffered from ovarian tumors and after the surgery everything went back to normal.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I have known several dogs, my own included, that turned extremely dog aggressive at around age 3. As someone else pointed out, that is often when true maturity is reached. I'm not sure if it matters, but all are/were females. Mine was a pit lab mix.

My dog never snapped out of this. She largely disliked, and would try to attack other female dogs. Typically got along with males. I spent the remaining 10 years of her life controlling her surroundings, and not letting her be in situations that might present a problem. I kenneled her at any sign of nervousness. I gave her extremely strict boundaries, and rules. No furniture, no off leash time outside of a fenced area, no dog parks, etc. It helped significantly, but the behavior only became easier to control, it did not go away.

Honestly, it sucked. She was extremely well socialized with both people, and other dogs from day 1. She went from loving everyone, and everything to unprovoked attacks. I never knew what would set her off. She was big, strong, and while I never had a moment where I thought she'd turn on me, I hated that I couldn't trust her. I loved her, but my experience with her forever put me off both pit bulls, and female dogs. Almost every dog I've encountered this behavior with is a bully breed. A few German Shepherds.
I'm not demonizing any breeds here. This is based purely on my personal experience, nothing more.
Yeah, sadly I think certain breeds are just more prone to dog aggression. :( they can be perfectly great otherwise but it seems like a lot of the bully breeds and/or working breeds like shepherds tend to be more aggressive. And idk what it is about females but they seem to have issues too!! I’ve seen it mentioned before that males fight for dominance and females fight for the right to breathe. As harsh as it sounds, I think it’s true in a way. Females also tend to hold grudges. I’ve seen this first hand. Males can have a blow out fight and then be snuggling two seconds later 😂🤣

I do think it depends on the breed too though because something like a Golden or Lab is (usually not always) much less likely to want to fight to the death than a Mal or GSD.

I’ve also seen dogs live together for years and then just one day decide they don’t like each other. It sucks.

Sometimes crating and rotating is the only way.

But if this is a new behavior and it’s only with pack mates so far then hopefully it is just her trying to take over and will be resolved eventually. :fl

Or could try not to allow it but I’m not really sure how that works. Probably easier said than done.

I know you said you spent a lot of time training the dogs and teaching them manners, etc. (which is fantastic cause most people don’t even bother to do that) but are they still being worked and trained? Practicing obedience? Exercising? All these breeds are the type that need a job to do and a lot of exercise and without it they can go a bit bonkers. Add to that the fact that she’s likely just coming into full maturity and it could be causing some of this stuff. I would try working her mind a bit more if you’re not already through obedience or trick training or maybe some puzzle bowls as well as upping the physical exercise. Hopefully it will help. But what you really should do is contact a trainer. Even if it’s not a behaviorist (though I do think that is a good idea), a trainer will likely be able to help too. It’s hard to know what exactly is going on without actually seeing it. There are many, many causes. But bitch fights are very very common and bully breeds in particular, although I love them, can be especially prone to dog aggression and especially same sex aggression. If it’s only the females she’s going after then it would seem it’s SSA showing. I would think some strict obedience training might resolve this. I know you say she already thinks of you as the alpha but it would still help. And you could also try correcting her when she does it. I know some people don’t tolerate any corrections or ranking amongst dogs. I’m not 100% sure I agree because sometimes pups, etc. can get annoying and I think they should be able to defend themselves BUT in your case it might help. The people I know that do it have dominant, working dogs that would fight otherwise so for them, and maybe for you, it may be more necessary than for most pet dogs. Anyway, good luck!
My dogs eat out of puzzle bowls, must do a different trick each time they get a treat, practice different tricks often (though nothing fancy), are in training to take care of my birds, etc. I go on a 2 mile run every other morning and take a different dog with me each time, and since I live in the country not near any roads or harmful neighbors, they are allowed to go out when they please and run as much as they like. I go out with them often to play with them and practice their callback as well. As for corrections, I personally don't allow them with my dogs due to them being so heavy and hard to stop if a challenge took place. If I hear a growl or see bared teeth/raised hair then I correct it. I do this because even when playing a little too rough theyve hurt each other on accident, so a real fight could be really serious

Last edited:
My dogs eat of of puzzle bowls, my do a different trick each time they get a trick, practice different tricks often (though nothing fancy), are in training to take care of my birds, etc. I go on a 2 mile run every other morning and take a different dog with me each time, and since I live in the country not near any road or harmful neighbors, they are allowed to go out when they please and run as much as they like. I go out with them often to play with them and practice their callback as well. As for corrections, I personally don't allow them with my dogs due to them being so heavy and hard to stop if a challenge took place. If I hear a growl or see bared teeth/raised hair then I correct it. I do this because even when playing a little too rough theyve hurt each other on accident, so a real fight could be really serious
Sounds like you really know what you’re doing and take great care of them!! :love and I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to imply otherwise or anything with my post. Was just trying to think of all possible explanations I could if that makes sense haha since there doesn’t really appear to be another reason then I would guess the maturity theory is a good one. That said though, sometimes to a dog, especially the young working types, running free/playing isn’t necessarily the same as having a structured task or work to do so maybe adding in a couple 5-10 minute obedience/training sessions a day or doing some structured walks might help her? Maybe she’d feel like she had a bit more of a “job” or routine. Only other thing I can really think of since you’re doing so much else.

Sounds like you really know what you’re doing and take great care of them!! :love and I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to imply otherwise or anything with my post. Was just trying to think of all possible explanations I could if that makes sense haha since there doesn’t really appear to be another reason then I would guess the maturity theory is a good one. That said though, sometimes to a dog, especially the young working types, running free/playing isn’t necessarily the same as having a structured task or work to do so maybe adding in a couple 5-10 minute obedience/training sessions a day or doing some structured walks might help her? Maybe she’d feel like she had a bit more of a “job” or routine. Only other thing I can really think of since you’re doing so much else.
Thanks! I try really hard to give my dogs their best lives, and contrary to popular belief, just blindly spoiling them and allowing them to do as they please is not the way to do it. Just makes things hectic for both you and the dog. When I take them for runs in the morning they are leashed and work on distraction resistance while doing it, since we do run on nature trails with lots of squirrels, baby alligators, birds, etc.
Her third birthday was on the 15th, so maybe (hopefully) it is just the maturity thing and not an underlying health issue

Me: I don't spoil my dogs

My dogs:

Attachments

• 20200530_183821.jpg
    20200530_183821.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200514_152826.jpg
    20200514_152826.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 7
  • B6C75E27-BC8C-4407-8ED1-EF7C72E045A8.JPG
    B6C75E27-BC8C-4407-8ED1-EF7C72E045A8.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 7
Thanks! I try really hard to give my dogs their best lives, and contrary to popular belief, just blindly spoiling them and allowing them to do as they please is not the way to do it. Just makes things hectic for both you and the dog. When I take them for runs in the morning they are leashed and work on distraction resistance while doing it, since we do run on nature trails with lots of squirrels, baby alligators, birds, etc.
Her third birthday was on the 15th, so maybe (hopefully) it is just the maturity thing and not an underlying health issue
Yeah I agree!!! With our last dog I tried to create rules for him and train him, etc. but my dad thought every rule was “mean” and constantly undid my training, let him do whatever he wanted, etc. 🙄 it was very chaotic and confusing for the poor dog. He was a good boy and I was able to get him pretty well trained and even doing tricks but he had several behavior problems that could have very easily been prevented with rules and structure.

My brother’s dogs on the other hand are very well trained and well behaved. They’re almost a little too strict with them sometimes 😂🤣 but they’re such good dogs and have a lot more privileges because of it. They have had some challenges with adolescence, little bit of stubbornness, etc. but they’ve worked through it and now that they’re getting older, they’re finally calming down. Gator on the other hand was still stealing stuff at 6 😂🤣🤦‍♀️

So I totally get it and agree!!!

I’m actually hesitant to get a dog again right now because I’m still living at home and I know my dad would just ruin it again. If I got one I would have to keep it away from him as much as possible.

Your runs sound nice!!! :love

And yes hopefully that is it!!!

What do you do when she does the fighting? Just get her off? Or does she go into a crate or somewhere separate? It may help to crate/separate her or otherwise correct it and just keep reminding her that the ranking is not tolerated there???? Hopefully that will be enough.

Are you able to correct/separate her right when she first jumps them before fights start? Or even when she’s just looking at them thinking of jumping? Are there any signs at all??? Even the most subtle of signs? I know you say they’re unprovoked and sudden which I get but most dogs, unless they have something neurological or a serious problem, usually show at least some signs even if it’s extremely subtle. Maybe a stare or lip lick or stiffening or something. If you can watch a video or two on dog body language and try to correct the fights before they even happen, redirect her attention, etc. then that may, hopefully, help. But of course I know sometimes stuff just happens way too fast. But I think trying to catch them beforehand will be more help than after the fact.

Oh and another thought I just had.... is it possible she’s protecting/guarding you when it happens??? Or does she do it when you’re not there? Maybe protecting territory too?? She could be getting protective, another sign of maturity. Or is it random?

Back
Top Bottom