Suddenly aggressive female duck in flock of females

Rlg

Hatching
Oct 26, 2023
Hi, I have 4 female ducks, 2 Jumbo Pekins and 2 Khaki Campbells. The Pekins 2 1/2 and the khakis 2 next February. They were all reared at home and have lived together quite happily (other than they odd spat!).
Today one of my khakis Squeak, and she has always been the most timid out of all 4 ladies, has started attacking the other khaki Bubble. It starts with her pecking feathers from the facial area of Bubble and then they literally butt heads until Squeak continues to try and rip feathers from Bubbles face.
I have never seen them butt heads like this and it’s always Squeak that starts attacking Bubble, eventually Bubble always manages to swim or run away, but I have never seen her aggressive like this before.
It’s not mating behaviour (I get treated to enough of that already even though they’re all female!), we are out of egg season and nothing else has changed. It’s like she’s just flicked a switch, she was fine this morning!
I’ve included some stills from a video I took to try and show how they go head on.
If anyone has any idea why a placid female can turn into a monster I’d much appreciate it! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9064.png
    IMG_9064.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9067.png
    IMG_9067.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9066.png
    IMG_9066.png
    2 MB · Views: 9
my 2 welsh harleys are doing the same thing , i think they are just re establishing the pecking order. I have an all girl duck flock it’s 12 ducks ages nine months to eight years . about once a year a couple of the ducks start having fights for a few days and then it’s over. i did notice that one of the high-ranking officials in the flock is usually involved in the fight so my guess is the challenger is trying to move up in rank.

Did you ever have a resolution with your ducks? I'm going through the exact same thing with my girls, could have written the same post (4 ducks been together since birth, the lowest in the pecking order has suddenly become super aggressive and fighting). I'm running out of ideas to try and get her to calm down!

Did you ever have a resolution with your ducks? I'm going through the exact same thing with my girls, could have written the same post (4 ducks been together since birth, the lowest in the pecking order has suddenly become super aggressive and fighting). I'm running out of ideas to try and get her to calm down!
@Jenbirdee

Back
Top Bottom