Suddenly agressive female duck

PicklesMom

Songster
Jul 28, 2018
Central MA
Hello -
We have a flock of 1 male (Pekin) and 4 female (Pekin and Swedish) ducks, 2-3 years old. One of our Swedish girls, Unicorn - my daughter named them - has always been quite small, so much that we'd have to keep her separated from our drake during mating season.
Over the summer we lost another Swedish suddenly and then Unicorn seemed to just get larger and more solid - not sure how else to describe it. She's always had good muscle on her chest etc, I don't think she was starving before, but it's almost like her bones feel heavier now.

All of a sudden she's become quite aggressive to the Pekin female and the new female I got. She and the Pekin will latch onto each others' chests and pull feathers out. I have them separated in the run and they're only together when free-ranging.

Has anyone had this happen? I'm wondering if this is just about the pecking order resetting itself, but also read this about a duck changing sexes: https://www.tyrantfarms.com/can-birds-change-sex-the-curious-story-of-mary-marty-the-duck/ Nobody is laying now, so not sure what spring will bring.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Hello -
We have a flock of 1 male (Pekin) and 4 female (Pekin and Swedish) ducks, 2-3 years old. One of our Swedish girls, Unicorn - my daughter named them - has always been quite small, so much that we'd have to keep her separated from our drake during mating season.
Over the summer we lost another Swedish suddenly and then Unicorn seemed to just get larger and more solid - not sure how else to describe it. She's always had good muscle on her chest etc, I don't think she was starving before, but it's almost like her bones feel heavier now.

All of a sudden she's become quite aggressive to the Pekin female and the new female I got. She and the Pekin will latch onto each others' chests and pull feathers out. I have them separated in the run and they're only together when free-ranging.

Has anyone had this happen? I'm wondering if this is just about the pecking order resetting itself, but also read this about a duck changing sexes: https://www.tyrantfarms.com/can-birds-change-sex-the-curious-story-of-mary-marty-the-duck/ Nobody is laying now, so not sure what spring will bring.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
I too think it is most likely pecking order behavior, @PicklesMom. Female to male sex change, while well documented, is very rare.
You will know in the spring when the females start laying again!

Hello! I have 4-5 week old female ruoens and 2-2 week old magpie females. How and when can I integrate the younger magpies with the ruoens?

Can they see each other now? Best way to start is getting them close enough they can interact without them picking on each other. I used by a xdog crate and a large dog crate bottoms tie wrapped then together to make one large brooderi put the older ones on one side of hardware wire partition and younger on the other side placed lamp above so they could share heat. they got to see each other all the time. After a few days I would let them be together for a few minutes as long as no one was getting picked on. Took about 4 days till they could be together all the time then the younger 2 would sleep on top of the older two.

Yes they can. I have the ruoens in a large dog pen and the magpies in a pak n play right next to them. When the little one arrived the ruoens would snap and bang against the pak n play. Now, the ruoens come out of their pen and lay next to the pak n play. I haven't allowed them to be together.

it will take some time but they will become one flock. Just go about face to face intro slowly. I also like to use dried mealworms to break the ice so to speak. Putting them all on the floor and letting them scarf up the mealworms. Keeps their minds on their tummies for a few minutes.

Thank you for your help Miss Lydia! I also have 2 1 year old magpie drakes. That will be my next challenge, integrating my 6 females with my boys...nervous about that one lol

They will have to be laying age before they can be with the drakes but living side by side will help a lot in introducing them until they are old enough. Of course that is once they are old enough to be outside. I was on my phone before and didn't realize you are a new member. Great to have you join.
Keep us updated on how this all goes.
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom