Suddenly duck (also what breed? Lol)

KrampusCat

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
Lowell, IN
So my boyfriend's boss was looking to get rid of a duck and we decided to take it for food and to see how the dogs would react to smaller animals in the house/yard that aren't deer, rodents, or neighbor's cats. (They're afraid lol, it snapped at them)

We're probably just going to use a hatchet, and we know how to process, but I was wondering what would be best for cooking... Plucking or skinning?

IMG_20201223_151737_991.jpg

PXL_20201223_232926769.MP.jpg

Looks like a black swedish, maybe a Swedish mix. Plucking is best if you want that crispy skin, but skinning is way easier and faster (especially if you don't have a plucker to do it for you)

No plucking contraption, but it's not like I'm doing anything tomorrow after running to the store in the morning lol. This is the first live bird we've received. We had two freshly hunted geese last year, but we just breasted them

So my boyfriend's boss was looking to get rid of a duck and we decided to take it for food and to see how the dogs would react to smaller animals in the house/yard that aren't deer, rodents, or neighbor's cats. (They're afraid lol, it snapped at them)

We're probably just going to use a hatchet, and we know how to process, but I was wondering what would be best for cooking... Plucking or skinning?

View attachment 2461531
View attachment 2461538
That looks like my pekin mix called Oreo.

As for preparation, plucking is the way we go, having the skin keeps it from drying out to much. To make it easier without a plucker, put a large pot to a low boil, bring it out just after you cull, and dunk the whole bird for 5 seconds, or more if needed. But doing it to long makes the skin easy to rip.

It looks like a swedish duck, but it could easily be a mixed breed. that feather pattern is very common in ducks. those genes are dominant over other common color patterns like all white and the splotchy colors of anconas and magpies.

skinning is easier, but you do lose a lot of value in the fat that you can render from skin scraps. I was able to render a full cup of fat from every drake that I butchered last year. I've heard that a goose can produce up to a quart of fat per bird.

To make it easier without a plucker, put a large pot to a low boil, bring it out just after you cull, and dunk the whole bird for 5 seconds, or more if needed. But doing it to long makes the skin easy to rip.

This is how I process my Pekins, just like I process my chickens. A good pair of tweezers helps, if your timing is bad (mine was last time). Ducks best processed around 7-8, 12-13, and 18 weeks of age, between periods of pin feather growth. I was mistaken last time, took about 4x longer to process than normal.

This is how I process my Pekins, just like I process my chickens. A good pair of tweezers helps, if your timing is bad (mine was last time). Ducks best processed around 7-8, 12-13, and 18 weeks of age, between periods of pin feather growth. I was mistaken last time, took about 4x longer to process than normal.
I've had those before.

Back
Top Bottom