Suddenly getting BLUE eggs!!!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Da_Woosta, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Da_Woosta

Da_Woosta New Egg

May 24, 2010
    South-East Michigan
    Hi y'all,

I have about 30+ hens. I bought this group around Easter time last year from the local farm store (like always). Started getting eggs at the normal 20 week mark. Mostly brown, a few white.

THEN...

A few weeks ago - I got one BLUE egg! Two days later another one.... Now I'm getting almost one blue a day!

What is going on here? Is one of the hens JUST STARTING to lay? Someone suggested a hen has a virus.

Are these eggs safe to eat? They are very nice looking...just BLUE!

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ronnie

2. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    You've got an Easter Egger in the flock. No problem with eating.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sounds like you just have one or more EEs in your group. They can be really variable when they start to lay since they are mixes and some will start pretty late.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I've heard of some Easter eggers being late to lay, but that's really pushing it!

There's been this article going around recently about a virus that first caused a mutation that caused blue egg shells, that's where your friend probably suggested a virus. But you hen is fine, blue eggs are a genetic thing, and most of us covet them!

If you want to know who it it, look for the hen with dark legs, slate or green, a beard or muff, and a pea comb. That'll be your blue egg lady.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Were you getting green eggs before? Green eggs are actually blue eggs with brown spray paint. So it's possible that a hen laying green is now laying blue. (no spray paint) It's also possible you have a really slow maturing EE.

6. karenspeeps

karenspeeps Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    I got mine at the end of April as well. I didn't think they were ever going to start laying. I just got my first blue egg today. It is a real pretty sky blue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by