Suddenly overrun in eggs again!

Would you PLEASE send some of that good egg laying mojo over here to Michigan!? No ones birds are laying here, they're terrified of the snow so they're not coming out of the coop and its just sooooo cold. We need some sort of excitement here, just ONE egg! I just want ONE!! lol

My Lav Bantam Ameraucanas went From 6 eggs last week to 13 eggs today. Everyone is laying, but my cornish and of course they are the ones I'm wanting to incubate eggs from.

I have been overrun in eggs since their second week of laying, with very few buyers I began donating tot he food bank but they are only open once per month so that really wasn't helping much. I was trying to sell my eggs for 2.50 per dozen and I only had like 3 buyers. Of course much later I found out the reason I wasn't selling is because someone I know was stealing my perspective customers, giving a dozen for free for every couple they bought from her. well I resorted to tell my neighbours that for them I would sell them 18 eggs for the same price as 12, because I just had too many and my freezer is already full of baked goods etc that I made. In a week I get 12 dozen eggs, word has spread throughout my neighbours and the eggs are starting to sell pretty well finally. last week I had over 20 dozen in the fridge I sold 9 at regular price, and then cooked up another 6 for the family, the pets and the hens. this week I sold 3 dozen this afternoon and another 3 tomorrow to my neighbours. my fridge is still full of eggs, even in this cold (last night it was -19F) the hens have not slowed down at all. A least I am selling some, and still have plenty for us. its looking like a lot of Eggnog this Xmas, lol.

My DD's school is having a fundraiser bakesale coming up, I will be using as many eggs as possible and donating the baked goods to raise funds for books and library/equipment.

My Dh has never been able to eat an egg without suffering intensively from it afterwards, but when he returned from out of town he braved himself to having a fresh egg, and that has turned into having eggs daily for him with absolutely no side effects what so ever, to test it he asked his friend for 2 of his store bought eggs in exchange for 2 fresh ones. Dh consumed the store bought eggs and regretted it within minutes. I have no clue what in store bought eggs makes him so sick, but I am happy he can eat our fresh eggs. The friend he did the exchange with now buys regularly from us, after trying the 2 eggs Dh gave him he said that as long as we have eggs he will not go back to store bought. Even my kids who would't touch an egg prior to having my own chickens will happily reach in the fridge for a hard boiled egg or ask for them for their lunches at school.

Quote:
Lucky duck. Wait a minute.................how many you have total?

Lots and lots. It is time to say good bye to some of the old gals.
sad.png
And lots of young girls. I will be doing a head count on Friday; NPIP testing day.

ok, well I was off today and I got a new timer and got it all set up. It is supposed to(if I did it right) come on at 4a.m. and go off at 7, by then the sun is up and there is plenty of light....I also realized that when this hen house was built it faces west..and not east so I am not getting the a.m. light and in the winter I need every bit I can get. it faces the pond in the west of my yard, the man raised ducks...would that make a difference if they didn't get as much light???

I'd send my girls on vacation someplace warm with lots of light.

Problem is I'd still have to get shipped eggs that way!

Jean how old were your AMs when they started laying? That might help me relax when my (I think 2 pullets) get older. BTW they are growing sooo fast. I'm pretty darn sure out of the 2 lavs I hatched from your eggs I have a pair
fl.gif
One has a much larger tail and the comb is more pronounced. I'll be happy with a pair.

I have one hen laying she is a Jersey Giant and is 8 months old, the rest of my older flock likes to molt during the coldest time of the year so that's what they are doing right now and not sure what is up w/ the rest of my young Jersey's. I get one egg a day, but I should make it, there is quite a stockpile in the fridge and if I get really desperate some in the freezer.

Quote:
My big girls (brahmas) molted longer this time than ever before; but at least they had the good sense to finish up before it got really cold, like now.
Four eggs from their coop so far this morning. I'm kicking myself in the butt right now because I tossed out a bunch of old worn out cardboard cartons over the summer and now with the cartons I have out with egg customers, I'm out of cartons.
he.gif

Just gonna have to find something else to store the eggs in and fill the cartons as my customers bring them back to me.

Back
Top Bottom