Suddenly unfriendly?

chickenlover89

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
Hi all, all my chickens are about 10 months old and they all just stopped being friendly. We have always spent time with them, and held them but they randomly started being unfriendly. Any ideas why?

Hmm...that does seem weird.

I had one very friendly chicken go skittish on me because she got attacked by a hawk. Before the attack she would jump on the bench and sunbath next to me whenever I sat down, but after the attack she wouldn't jump on my lap or let me pick her up. I think she might have thought I attacked her because the hawk swooped down and knocked her out, I heard the commotion and ran out to see. The hawk had her bellly side up but when I ran out it flew away. I grabbed her and thought she had a brokrn neck because she was breathing but was totally limp with her eyes closed. There was no blood or visible wounds. I held her to me thinking it was her last moments, but to my surprise 5 min. later she blinked and 10 min. after that she freaked out and few out of my arms.

Do you think the chickens might be getting attacked but not wounded so they have learned fear?

Hmm...that does seem weird.

I had one very friendly chicken go skittish on me because she got attacked by a hawk. Before the attack she would jump on the bench and sunbath next to me whenever I sat down, but after the attack she wouldn't jump on my lap or let me pick her up. I think she might have thought I attacked her because the hawk swooped down and knocked her out, I heard the commotion and ran out to see. The hawk had her bellly side up but when I ran out it flew away. I grabbed her and thought she had a brokrn neck because she was breathing but was totally limp with her eyes closed. There was no blood or visible wounds. I held her to me thinking it was her last moments, but to my surprise 5 min. later she blinked and 10 min. after that she freaked out and few out of my arms.

Do you think the chickens might be getting attacked but not wounded so they have learned fear?
Thank you! And I'm pretty sure they aren't getting attacked. I have had a hawk attack but no wounds or deaths, and the girl who was attacked is still friendly (now broody so not sure if she's changed). Even my silkie who never ran and loved to be held, and would even walk up the steps of our deck to the back door to find us now runs
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom