Suddenly worried if HUmidity is High Enough!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, Mar 28, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I set my eggs yesterday. Temp is holding well at 100 and humidity at 54-56. I have had a sinus infection and not felt good and I swear I read the humidity needed to be 50-60, but this morning am re-reading all my articles and see 60.
    Is what I have enough or should I increase it? I am keeping the one trough full and it is holding steady. HELP![​IMG]

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    If they are chicken eggs then 35 to 50 for humidity. I keep mine at 45. You really don't want it above 50 until day 18

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I keep the humidity between 40 to 50% the first 18 days, then 60 to 70% for the remaining 3....Having the humidity too high the first 18 days can cause all kinds of problems...

4. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Oh Argh! Yes they are Chicken, so now it's too high [​IMG]
    Dang this learning stuff stinks sometimes [​IMG]
    Should I lower the water level some? I would hate to have gone through all of this and killed them the first day:hit

5. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    You may want to try opening a vent for a little while and see if that lowers the humidity. If not then yes take out a little water.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes, take out some of the water...

7. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I got it to 44-45 by opening a vent. I have two Humidity Monitors, the wet/dry that came with it and a digital that also has temp. I also have the traditional thermometer that came with it. All are reading about the same. Digital says temp 99-100 , standard is staying at 100. Wet/dry is saying 45 humidity and digital is at 44.
    Hope I didn't kill the little boogers already.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  8. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    nah they will be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by