1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suet Blocks for Chickens ????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Frizzled, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Frizzled

Frizzled Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it OK to give chickens suet blocks made for wild birds? The local farm store has them for .59 and .79 cents apiece.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yes, and it helps boost fats and carbs to keep them warmer. I make my own now- very easy and I can put whatever I want in.

I usually melt 2 pounds of lard, (careful, do NOT leave the pan unwatched!) and let it cool until starting to set up again. Then I stir in scratch, bird seed, oatmeal, cornmeal, dried fruit, sunflower seeds....just whatever I have on hand. Sometimes I add cayenne pepper. That mix gets poured into a half gallon oj or milk carton and refrigerated until hardened. I peel/tear off the carton, slice with a serrated knife and the chickens LOVE it! It's great watching them struggle to get the biggest piece and hide it.

I give it to them twice a week, so it's a treat only. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. plight79

plight79 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    Finger Lakes Region, NY
    Thanks...I have been wondering this myself.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the commercial ones though I occasionally get ground suet from the meat store and mix with peanut butter and lard and seed...

I keep the commercial blocks in my refrigerator and bring them to the coop in winter and/or if a bird is in molt.

The birds love it!

This one is on a wall over the nest boxes where there is a platform:

[​IMG]

5. Frizzled

Frizzled Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the help, I thought this was a good price but wanted to make sure before I bought too many of them.

6. chickndoglover

chickndoglover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Victoria, BC Canada
    So it is ok for them to have the lard, I looked at some before but thought maybe it was too much fat for them? I guess in the winter for treat now and then ( to include with the rest of the treats the spoiled brats get!) [​IMG]

7. rebel13dlc

rebel13dlc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2009
    Indiana
    I work as a seed mixer at a wild bird food plant and on all our pakaging it says for wild birds only, but I assume thats to cover our butts. I used some cardinal pressed seed, just smashed it up and they loved the black oil and cracked corn, i got a bucnh of year round suet I'm going to give them

8. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I save the fat from the meat I cook for my family in a container in the freezer. After I roast a chicken or cook some burgers in a skillet I just pour the fat in the container. When I need to make the suet I just melt it all down, add the seeds, oats, etc. and then freeze it in a loaf pan. Then I just slice it as I need it. The slices fit great in my suet feeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by