Suet Cakes Prices

ChickenChick92

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2018
Lutz, FL
I am still learning a lot about my girls but I see a lot of good recipes for the suet cakes for them and I also see them at my feed store. For a small block its 7.99 here. Is it more cost effective for me to make them myself or just buy them from the store?

I make my own...not for my chickens but for the woodpeckers. I save beef fat from cooking and mix it with corn meal, a little flour, peanut butter and bird seed. For chickens I would imagine you'd want to replace the pb and bird seed with things like sunflower seeds and mealworms. Easy peasy!

You can keep the pb and seeds too. You can add mealies and raisins if you want to. They really dig peanut butter, lots of protein.:)
I make my own...not for my chickens but for the woodpeckers. I save beef fat from cooking and mix it with corn meal, a little flour, peanut butter and bird seed. For chickens I would imagine you'd want to replace the pb and bird seed with things like sunflower seeds and mealworms. Easy peasy!

I'm in Florida so we dont snow but when it gets cold a little treat picks up their spirits a little bit. I called a local butcher and they sell the fat super cheap! Only .50 a pound! For the cold days I'll make one from scratch and see how it goes. For the rest of the year I usually grow them lettuce and clean it with cold water so for a treat its cooling for them. It's gotten in the 100s here lately.

Back
Top Bottom