suet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jc mac, Jan 1, 2016.

1. jc mac

jc mac Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    would it be ok to tie a wild bird suet block in the coop for the chickens to entertain themselves with. I'm not sure if it would hurt them or be to rich for their systems.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I think that it's likely that they will eat it up in one huge feast, rather than a little at a time. Small amounts/ bird/ week makes more sense to me. Mine gorged on the Flock Block the time I tried one; it was entertainment for a short time. Mary

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2 @Folly's place

I was thinking maybe you could 1/4 the block if it's possible, but then thought about how one bird may "dominate" the whole thing and not share. I only have a few, but I can imagine the chaos[​IMG] they are like little vultures.

For "entertainment" or treat time, I usually hang an apple almost daily. Occasionally I gather a large bunch of bamboo branches with leaves and hang those up, they eat the leaves and have fun tramping in and out of the branches (mine are in a run, I don't free range). Another entertainment is dumping a pile of leaves/pine needles in the run and throwing in a small amount of cracked corn or boss on top, these usually sink in the leaves quickly and they spend several hours scratching looking for a tidbit. I'm sure others have great ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by