suet

jc mac

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2015
would it be ok to tie a wild bird suet block in the coop for the chickens to entertain themselves with. I'm not sure if it would hurt them or be to rich for their systems.

I think that it's likely that they will eat it up in one huge feast, rather than a little at a time. Small amounts/ bird/ week makes more sense to me. Mine gorged on the Flock Block the time I tried one; it was entertainment for a short time. Mary

I think that it's likely that they will eat it up in one huge feast, rather than a little at a time. Small amounts/ bird/ week makes more sense to me. Mine gorged on the Flock Block the time I tried one; it was entertainment for a short time. Mary

X2 @Folly's place

I was thinking maybe you could 1/4 the block if it's possible, but then thought about how one bird may "dominate" the whole thing and not share. I only have a few, but I can imagine the chaos
wink.png
they are like little vultures.

For "entertainment" or treat time, I usually hang an apple almost daily. Occasionally I gather a large bunch of bamboo branches with leaves and hang those up, they eat the leaves and have fun tramping in and out of the branches (mine are in a run, I don't free range). Another entertainment is dumping a pile of leaves/pine needles in the run and throwing in a small amount of cracked corn or boss on top, these usually sink in the leaves quickly and they spend several hours scratching looking for a tidbit. I'm sure others have great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom