Sugar Gliders

KariR

Chirping
Nov 26, 2017
Central WA State
We were asked to foster some Sugar Gliders that were rescued from a hoarding situation recently. We have 4 total. One bonded male pair in a cage and another bonded male/female in another. We anticipate she is likely already bred and we are keeping that pair (+) and getting the male neutered over the next few weeks.

Does anyone here have them or have experience with them? We have been doing extensive research and honestly my oldest daughter is the one taking on the bulk of the feeding and time spent getting them handled and bonded. The male pair is pretty wild so will take more time. The male/female pair is much more tame and doing well though. We are looking for a bigger cage for them as we currently have them in bird cages but that is just short term til we can get them a safe and bigger enclosure.

I used to have a bonded male/ female pair. they were never the sweetest creatures. I had them for 8 years and they tolerated me lol. They used to escape there cage allll the time and it drove me crazy waking up to them scurrying about my bed lol One fun thing i did during summer is go catch a hand full of giant grasshoppers and throw them in the cage and they go crazy chasing them.

We have one male pair we are fostering and another surprise female/male pair that my oldest daughter is bonding with. She is adopting them. It was a rush rescue and a few surprises have arisen.

Attachments

• 7D9A9087-858F-4BE6-B1B6-E82517DF7DF9.jpeg
    7D9A9087-858F-4BE6-B1B6-E82517DF7DF9.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 8
  • CB7C03DC-44D6-4DFC-B217-D1FF135D759C.jpeg
    CB7C03DC-44D6-4DFC-B217-D1FF135D759C.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 8
I have a bonded female pair of suggies, they're a hoot. Make sure you're new cage has narrow bars because they can squeeze almost flat and they are FAST! I also keep a plastic shower curtain on the wall behind they're cage because poop is sticky and gets everywhere. When you do the regular cage cleaning, be sure to rinse it really well. I have found that the "high traffic' areas are losing the rust-proof coating from the urine.

We follow this diet with some good results. Sugar Gliders are nectar feeders and not really designed to eat kibble. There is a lot of other really good info on the Highland website: http://www.highlandsugargliders.com/HSG_Diet.html

Use lots of caution with your sleeping and bonding pouches. one of our girls lost a foot to getting tangled in a loose thread. We have since switched to small ferret hammocks.

If you have the space for one, a little 2-man dome tent can result in hours of great fun and good bonding time.

Back
Top Bottom