Suggestion on turning car port frame into coop

GalloDude

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2018
I have a 12' x 20' car port frame i was looking at turning into a coop for about 4-6 hens. Live in SoCal so don't think weather is too big of an issue.

Need advice on a coop and materials for the enclosure and any other suggestions for a 1st timer. Pretty handy with the tools, so no concern there.

Thanks in advance!!

That would make a great chicken coop and run. I would put a coop on one end and add fencing around the whole thing with a man door on the end. Kind of like this. Add whatever roof you like.
FA433F1E-F720-479E-870C-B67D331F3DAC.jpeg

Oooooo!

That is EXACTLY what I'd like to get for my new coop, which I'm planning as an Open Air design.

If I had one (my silly sister-in-law, with whom we share the property, insists on parking her car in it. Can you imagine? :eek: 🤣), I would adapt it as follows:

• Bolt 2x4's to the metal uprights to provide a good surface for attaching siding and wire.
  • Fasten sheets of T-111, Hardiboard, or other suitable siding material (whatever is available/affordable), to the windward end to create a box that extends from about 18-24 inches above ground level to 8-12 inches below the level of the roof, leaving the gable triangle open.
  • Use concrete blocks to create an interior sill to contain the deep litter.
  • Create a frame in which to mount one of the various old screen doors (suitably reinforced with hardware cloth), that I refused to let DH throw away.
  • Cover everything else with hardware cloth and apply an anti-dig apron.
  • Install perches and nestboxes however is most convenient.

P.S. Because of my climate I would not bother with creating a fully-enclosed box. Maybe stub walls if swirling wind created an actual problem.
Yep, x2... in southern California you want a pretty open coop... NOT closed box.

Definitely roof the entire thing.. but you want breeze at perch level.

You can have shutters to close up in huge sideways blowing storms

Back
Top Bottom