Suggestions for Antibiotics?

JBrade

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
Any ideas where I can find antibiotics for a foot infection? I would greatly appreciate it! Vet and prescription is unavailable.

Full story: Our 1 yr old pekin Ruby developed an infection in her ankle. There was no scab or visible injury to the bottom of the foot like typical bumblefoot, but we treated the same way with epsom soaks and topical antibiotic. It continued to get worse. Our avian vet is not seeing farm pets currently due to a wild bird virus in our area! They can’t even prescribe antibiotics over the phone because this duck would be a new patient and needs an intake exam. The infection became warm and clearly visible under her skin as hard lumps so my husband and I made a small incision and pushed out 2 huge infection clumps. (I have a bit of experience with small mammal surgery so this was somewhat familiar, and we did everything as sterile as possible given the conditions.) I hope we have given her some relief, but I really want to follow with antibiotics during recovery. What can I give her?! It seems like feed stores no longer carry antibiotics. Or you need a prescription. Thanks in advance.

Any ideas where I can find antibiotics for a foot infection? I would greatly appreciate it! Vet and prescription is unavailable.

Full story: Our 1 yr old pekin Ruby developed an infection in her ankle. There was no scab or visible injury to the bottom of the foot like typical bumblefoot, but we treated the same way with epsom soaks and topical antibiotic. It continued to get worse. Our avian vet is not seeing farm pets currently due to a wild bird virus in our area! They can’t even prescribe antibiotics over the phone because this duck would be a new patient and needs an intake exam. The infection became warm and clearly visible under her skin as hard lumps so my husband and I made a small incision and pushed out 2 huge infection clumps. (I have a bit of experience with small mammal surgery so this was somewhat familiar, and we did everything as sterile as possible given the conditions.) I hope we have given her some relief, but I really want to follow with antibiotics during recovery. What can I give her?! It seems like feed stores no longer carry antibiotics. Or you need a prescription. Thanks in advance.
You could probably give her Baytril, most farm stores carry it. It's for cattle and injectable, but can be given to birds orally.

You could probably give her Baytril, most farm stores carry it. It's for cattle and injectable, but can be given to birds orally.
At my 2 local farm stores, it says Rx is needed for Baytril. Maybe this is a new regulation or varies by state? Idk. It seems a lot of people get this at farm stores but I can’t.

At my 2 local farm stores, it says Rx is needed for Baytril. Maybe this is a new regulation or varies by state? Idk. It seems a lot of people get this at farm stores but I can’t.
It was a year or so ago that I asked my store so that would make sense. It was expensive there too.
Any cattle ranchers near you that might have something you could borrow?

Through legit farm stores it should require a prescription, but it's super easy to get without a prescription. Google Baytril for birds, and google enroxil. Enroxil is made in Mexico and sold on many game bird sites.

Back
Top Bottom