Suggestions for app-activated coop doors?

EmmaRainboe

🙄🤚💙Duckie💜😩🤚
Jul 30, 2020
Washington
I think what I've decided to do, is I've found a motor with a timer for $20, which is also compatible with amazon alexa (which I can control from my phone/iPad). I will then cut a door using a CNC machine, and set the timer to around dawn/dusk, and have the door raise up.

I will also have the door installed on the inside, to prevent any moisture damage to the motor.

This door will close slowly, but it won't stop if a chicken is under it. So it won't guillotine them, but if someone tries to rush in last second they could potentially get their neck caught and slowly crushed or something.

So to aid in this unlikely event, I think I will leave my other door on the outside and have it close slightly earlier. So during most months of the year when it does work, if anyone gets trapped outside, that door will block them from trying to rush under the crushing door last second. And they can still rush under that metal door, like I have seen them do sometimes.

Bit of an update, I cut out a door out of plexiglass using a CNC, then took an extending arm and hooked it up to a motor which runs on a timer, and can also be controlled by Alexa. So I downloaded the Alexa app on my phone, and just say "Alexa, turn off chicken door" to open it, and "Alexa, turn on chicken door." To close it. Work amazingly.

Also now I have two coop doors, which is great because I was worried about the security of the other one anyways.

The only problem with this door is it closes slowly, but it does not stop if it hits something so it could possibly crush someone in an unlikely scenario.

So to combat this I plan on doing some photo eyes like you see in a garage door.

07FF905D-2836-4E37-8758-1EED276A019A.jpeg
29FBD0DC-5744-4696-9CFB-ABEF7E7F223C.jpeg
C9B6DA29-1794-46A0-852E-27A7B3F0F021.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom