Suggestions for better using a kill cone?

Dinogrrl

Songster
Aug 17, 2019
North Carolina
I just wrapped up my first attempt at raising and processing meat chickens. 9 total (the 10th is a rooster I did exactly what I said I wouldn't do with and became very fond of, so at least for now he's still around), various breeds. I personally think the meat looks pretty good for a first attempt with non-Cornish breeds :). I used a kill cone for the deed and then butchered them on my kitchen table and I think overall that method worked well.

My question is with the kill cone. I have a cone that is supposed to be chicken-sized. Perhaps for large chickens it would be. However, I did have to process 6 of the chickens 3 weeks ago, earlier than I had wanted, as they turned out to be roosters and they were crowing their little hearts out, and when you live in the suburbs like I do your neighbors really don't appreciate that. I put them in the cone with the feet towards me so that I could get to their throats, but even the largest hen that I did today had absolutely no problem getting their feet into the cone and flipping themselves back upright. I was not prepared for this with the first chicken and he ended up flipping himself out of the cone and around the garage as he bled everywhere.

I thought about tying their feet up, but I didn't have a convenient place to do that where I currently have the kill cone set up in my garage, so instead I had to just quickly slit their throats, grab their legs before they could get them down into the cone, and then hold them until they were gone. Thankfully, 80% of the time I hit the vein perfectly and the chickens passed on very quickly so I didn't have to stand there for long. The other 20% though...did not go quickly, and standing there holding them the whole time was not an ideal thing at all.

Any suggestions? Do I just need a smaller cone, or should I try tying their feet next time, or...?

Live in cut up kitty litter jug... electrical tape around ankles 5 times.
Head pulled up into jug

KIMG0330_01.JPG

@Molpet How big of a litter jug is that? I can't quite make it out in the photo. I usually get the big litter pails because I have two cats (very handy to make water bins out of!) but I can go for a smaller jug so I can try it as a cone next time.
I looked and it was a 14 lb. Straight part of the side is about 7 inches. Vertical
There's usually 2 size jugs, this is the smaller. But I have cut up the larger.
I use 2 fender washers and 2 screws to hold it

@Molpet How big of a litter jug is that? I can't quite make it out in the photo. I usually get the big litter pails because I have two cats (very handy to make water bins out of!) but I can go for a smaller jug so I can try it as a cone next
I think it shows that it is a 14 pound container. I use a combination of used jugs and store bought cones myself.
Wish you the best!

Back
Top Bottom