Suggestions for building a coop in hot weather with rain. (south Florida or another tropical climate

flocking nuts

Chirping
Jun 13, 2016
Homestead, Florida
Hi everyone. I'm new to chickening and building our first coop. It will be 8'x 5' with a roof sloping from 7' up front to 6 at the rear. I'm trying to figure out how to keep it well ventilated,but not drafty. I'm also trying to contend with keeping this well ventilated coop dry inside.

We plan on having the walls sided 6' up. the triangle on the sided would be covered with hardware cloth or slats with chicken wire. The front of the coop would be covered with hardware cloth for the top foot. Eventually we want to make it a living roof to keep it cooler, but that's later. The roof will overhang a foot on all sides.

I want to put windows in, but I don't want sideways rain soaking the coop all the time. What should I do?

Thanks,
Wendy

I just finished my coop and put in louvered windows that I pulled out of an old pickup camper we had. A few days after I put them in we had a thunderstorm with 65 mph winds and rain that was coming sideways. I had the windows wide open; the next morning I checked the coop and it was dry inside.
smile.png

Although the coop is in the shade most of the day, in the late afternoon one side gets some sun. I cut pieces of the reflective bubble wrap they use for insulation (like the stuff car window shades are made of) and clipped it on the louvers - it totally blocks the sun but the same amount of air can flow in. This winter I can close up the windows (still have vents up high), remove the reflective pieces so the sun can come through the windows for some warmth.

I took the regular screens out of the windows and used hardware cloth to back the windows for flock safety.

Last edited:
I just finished my coop and put in louvered windows that I pulled out of an old pickup camper we had.  A few days after I put them in we had a thunderstorm with 65 mph winds and rain that was coming sideways.  I had the windows wide open; the next morning I checked the coop and it was dry inside.  :)   

Although the coop is in the shade most of the day, in the late afternoon one side gets some sun.  I cut pieces of the reflective bubble wrap they use for insulation (like the stuff car window shades are made of) and clipped it on the louvers - it totally blocks the sun but the same amount of air can flow in.  This winter I can close up the windows (still have vents up high), remove the reflective pieces so the sun can come through the windows for some warmth.  

I took the regular screens out of the windows and used hardware cloth to back the windows for flock safety.

Glad everything stayed dry! It's gotta be great to know all of your work kept your birdies safe

Back
Top Bottom