Suggestions for Coop Improvements/Upgrades

saraiquimby1

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Indiana
Hello all!
I have had chickens for 3 years now. I have one ridiculously handsome rooster, 10 hens of various breeds, and 20 chicks coming in the mail next month.
We free range our chickens frequently over our 7 acre farm (and some of the neighbors...oops), so they are not cooped up 24/7. However, I want to know if you guys have any ideas on improvements for the run especially. I have sticks and perches in the corners, as you can see. I put the tire in there for a dust bath, but I'm a bad chicken mamma and have yet to put anything in it...I want to start getting peat moss occasionally because I've seen that they like that. But the run is so BLAH compared to some I've seen on here. I want them to have a bit more to do when they do have to be locked up.
So post away your suggestions/improvements!! I would appreciate pictures also if you have them. What other kinds of enrichment can I give them.
Also if my 20 end up all being pullets, how many nest boxes do I need for them? Maybe 5-7 of my current girls are still laying. (I'm going to build new nesting boxes I think since the current one was made from scrap wood many years ago.)
Thanks guys! I know they are snow covered pictures but you get the gist. The floor of the run is just dirt, and there are some logs here and there in there also.
My coop is also going to get a new paint job this spring now that i'm seeing these pictures. It looks gross!! lol
IMG_3827.JPG
IMG_3828.JPG
IMG_3830.JPG
IMG_3829.JPG
IMG_3832.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3830.JPG
    IMG_3830.JPG
    724.3 KB · Views: 1
You need 1 nest box for every 3-4 layer.

You have a nice coop/ run. I would add some depth, saw horses/old table, or a ladder to jump and climb on. Consider boxing in a sand/dirt bath area? Add a place you can hang a head of cabbage or a stand for a flock block. Pile some leaves up.

I wouldn't add potted plants - they'll eat them down to the roots.:D.

If you search for Chicken Gym - there are several examples of things you can make with scrap wood.

Might consider some kind of shelter to keep a dust bathing area rain and snow free.
Something like a 3x3', or larger, area with a waterproof roof, and 2 wind/snowing blocking sides against the coop.

2x2's and branches for roosts in run. Logs, stumps, pallets leaned against wall or up on concrete blocks, grazing frames, old table/chairs/benches.

It doesn't take much to amuse them, just stuff to get on top of or underneath.
Movable is good cause then you can change it up once in while.

I know I'm going to be buying some run replacer from treats for chickens pretty soon to give the girls something to peck at. Also, one of my friends put a bunch of pieces of wood stood up the tall way around her coop so the hens could jump on them and she painted them fun colors as well. Last year I planted a couple strawberry plants in the chicken coop for the girls to peck at. It didn't last long, but it was fun for them while it was there.

1 nest box for every 5-8 hens.
I'd say just to keep a close eye on your flock and your ventilation. Your coop may not be big enough for 20 more birds, which can cause bullying and feather picking, so watch them carefully. The rule of thumb is 4 sq ft of space per bird, but that can be narrowed down a little bit with proper management. Make sure you have enough roost space, birds need 10" of roost space per bird. If you lock them in the coop at night make sure there's roosts in there. Also check your ventilation. From what I can see you don't have much at all.
A sand area to dust bathe in is a great idea. Stuff like planting only works for so long. I do it for my quail, but my chickens just run those poor plants to the ground. In my run area I have a few anthills which keeps my flock occupied.
Make sure that if you end up with cockerels- which you will, those 20 chicks are not all going to be pullets- you have a backup plan. Will you sell, eat, or keep them? 1 rooster for every 5-8 hens.

Yes thank you! I also have a couple wood boxes that I put in the coop and plant grass seeds, give it some time to grow and then move the boxes once in a while to give them grass in the run. Like i said they aren't cooped up much but occasionally.
I'll add some more nest boxes.
I'll be getting rid of any and all cockerels I'm thinking. My rooster does a good job and I don't want to stir the pot..I have never had trouble giving them away for free online.
The covered dust bath is something I'll definitely work on.
@Welshies There is plenty of ventilation..just a bad picture angle. There's a 4 inch gap between the top of the wall and the roof all the way around the shed, 2 chicken doors, and 3 windows, 2 of which are constantly open :) One of the doors is blocked with that small drawer/stand beside the nest boxes. We were working on the run so we shut everyone up temporarily.

I wondered about the roost space. There is a 12 or 14 foot roost (I can't remember) with the poop board you can see half of in that picture. My 10 birds only use about 4 feet of it as some of them lay in the PDZ, some on the roost, and some on the ledge of the poop boards.. But I got to thinking about that and I may have to add another roost to the other side maybe?
I may not keep all of the birds. I got 20 planning on some ending up cockerels, and I need to get rid of my older girls (5 of them) that I'm pretty sure aren't laying anymore...I just can't let go of them haha
Usually there is sand in the floor of the chicken coop, but we put straw down during this cold front we had to try and keep them warmer and give them something to scratch through...I'll be raking it out come spring time.

Sounds to me like I've got some projects to work on in there to improve some things in my coop more than in the run!! Thanks for your imput everyone!

Go on Pinterest, and look up chicken toys. I've seen little "pastures" where the grass grows through a frame and they can't eat the roots, and also fun toys like an old metal xylophone nailed to a wall, hanging baby mirrors, or little perch swings. Good luck!

I wouldn't recommend too many new things at once.

All are chicken :) Anything new or moved takes time to overcome fear of it...once the bravest discovers it then everyone explores.

Back
Top Bottom