Suggestions for coop?

heathr6913

In the Brooder
8 Years
7 Years
Jan 24, 2012
HI everybody I'm brand new to chickens. (I actually don't even have any yet) I just moved into a house a couple months ago that had this existing structure in the back. I think it was meant to be a child's play house but I'm really not sure. The first thing I thought of when I saw it was "chicken coop!" I took some pictures and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some ideas/suggestions with me. I have a few ideas of my own but I've never owned chickens before so I'm sure you chicken veterans will have better suggestions as to what works best. I'm looking at having a max of 4...maybe 5 chickens. Mostly I'm wanting silkies but I'm thinking possibly 1 or 2 bigger chickens just for the bigger eggs(not sure on breed yet, possibly easter eggers..).
I live in Northeastern Indiana so we do get the extremes of both summer and winter weather conditions so I also need suggestions as far as winterizing etc... I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible. I have a ton of cinder blocks and various sizes of wood in our shed so I'm thinking I shouldn't have to buy any wood.
This structure is approximately 5' tall x 4' wide x 3.5' deep.
Here is the front of the structure. I'm thinking about raising it up on cinder blocks.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/Heathr6913/chicken coop/chickencoop.jpg
Here is one side of the structure. The windows you see are functional windows. They slide up and down and have locks on them. The back of the structure is just like the front except there is no door but there is a window just like the sides.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/Heathr6913/chicken coop/chickencoop2.jpg

Any suggestions of what I definitely SHOULD do and SHOULD NOT do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Where to start??!! There are so much...

Your objective: Eggs, pets, little of each. Chickens are tempermental creatures. They will stop laying at random (molt, age, temperature, light, predator). If you are counting on certain egg production, I would suggest mix flock at 50% production rate (2 birds for every egg).

Breed: Silkies are cute but rather handicapped. Silkies' needs are different such as lower everything (too low for other breeds). There are many decent egg layer breeds. Mix flock will give you a variety of color and pattern and level out the egg productivity to avoid feast and famine.

Coop: The size is good for about 4 birds if you have a run (pen) for them. Make sure it is easy to maintain. The door looks to be too small. My 2'w x 3'h door allows me to reach in to all corners of the coop, if necessary craw in.

Be flexible and ready for change. What works for someone may need to be tweaked to work for you. The continuous improvement is actually fun part of experience.

good to hear from someone in New Haven.

Does the building have a floor? If so then i would raise it up on the cinder blocks. For the fact it would be easier to clean out. After a wile crouching down to clean it will get to be a pain.
What is it made out of? Is the inside wood construction?
I would not worry about the weather so much as I would ventilation.

It does have a floor and all the interior is wood. I was thinking about keeping the small door on the front to be used as the chicken's access to the run and then putting a more human sized door on the backside. I was also planning on putting vents around the top.

Back
Top Bottom