suggestions for duck breeds

eggardengirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Oregon
Hi All,

I would like some suggestions from those of you who raise ducks. I have room enough for four, and would like a breed that tolerates confinement with a small swimming area for most of the day, with opportunity to "free range" in a naturalized backyard a couple of hours in the afternoon/evening. I would like good egg layers that my kids could work with, possibly for 4-H. I would like to start out with ducklings. Thanks for your ideas ahead of time!

Janet:)

Buff ducks are very calma nd good layers.

Blue Swedish and Cayuga are my favorites as far as temperment for egglaying.

Sumatra503,

Thanks for the info. I did not realize there was a Buff Orpington Duck. I have 6 Buff Orpington hens and I love them. I will be doing more research on these.

Janet

I had a buff. She was a good layer and she was people friendly despite being flock raised....BUT....she was the LOUDEST thing EVER! A few of us who have raised buffs have noticed that buffs are a bit on the bossy side. Mine took over the flock in about 2 days!
big_smile.png
Great ducks, but be prepared!
gig.gif

The breeds that I have are Jumbo Pekins- I have trouble sometimes holding on to them and I swear they are bigger than my kids but they seem to be calm but have so far been the loudest of the ducks.

Rouens- I have just gotten these last week but for right now they are just a bit smaller than the WH and are still figuring out the ropes. I am enjoying their antics and they too have been quite loud- I am guessing it is because they can hear the others and want out of the isolation room. Some of the chickens followed me into their room the other day and I don't think they knew what to do.
lol.png
I had to rescue them and the chickens were not even doing anything but looking for extra treats.

Mallards- are small enough for the kids to hold but... Since they know how to fly they have really been fluffing their wings into very strong wings so they are tough to hold because of that. But of course they have won my heart because of their flight and I still have no heart to clip them.

Welsh Harlequin- For me they have been the middle of the road. I think they are the prettiest of the bunch and are big but not too big.

My kids are still quite small 4, 5, 7 and are learning along with me so they don't like to hold the ducks or the chickens but I do
big_smile.png
Plus I end up looking them over to make sure everything is still good. Thus far the duck adventure has been a good one with only a few set backs.

I have a nice group of appleyards and they are great ducks. They lay great, nice colors and stick close to home.

I like my Ancana's ducks, the pinto pony's of the duck world. good layers, meat duck, and very freindly.

19130_for_sale_023.jpg

19130_for_sale_026.jpg

chocolate Muscovies are great too, they eat alot of bugs

I have 4 fawn and white runners, and 1 is a drake. They have a section of our "Monster coop" with a run section too just to themselves. the coop part is 6.5'x5' and the run is 6.5'x10' with a 3'x4' and 2' deep pond and they do just fine. Mine don't free range, just haven't had the time to teach them to go in at night is all.
They're just 6 months old now and haven't started to lay yet... but i sure can't wait for that, they're supose to be the "leghorn" of the duck world from what I hear. And they're not very loud so that's nice.

Back
Top Bottom