Suggestions for edible climbing vines around coop

JohnL11935

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
North Fork Eastern Long Island
I am looking to plant something that will grow up and over my run that the chickens will be able to nibble on and will provide some shade during the summer months.

In response to a post on the EasyGarden Forum for a good vine to grow next to a chain link fence, someone spoke of planting Red Malabar Spinach.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25252

I am a little concerned that I may be a bit too far north for this to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something similar that has worked well for them in the past?

Thanks.

Japanese honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica). Mine came up on it's own. I would make sure it is legal in your area because they can be a little invasive if you don't keep an eye on them. The chickens love to peck at it but, not devour it in a day type appeal.

Make sure it of this type as some things thought of as "honeysuckle" are poisonous.

We have grapes and thornless blackberries on ours. They love it, however, we don't get any fruit unless it is on the outside of the coop out of beak range!
lol.png

Quote:
Brilliant!

I am going to try this! We grow it well in the PNW, and I've had success with it! I *personally* didn't find it that tasty, but here's hoping that the chooks do!

I've grown Malabar spinach over the last few years but will forego it in 2009.

I've had to start it in the greenhouse, then move it into a plastic tunnel. It wasn't actually "outside" until well into June - all that, to keep the vines growing with adequate warmth
cool.png
. It is just a little too tropical for here.

I'll suggest Winter squash or Turk's Turban gourd vines. Both are vigorous vines and are edible. I'm suggesting the Turks Turban because I don't know how edible the other species of gourds are. TT is a Cucurbita maxima - like buttercup, acorn and some other squashes.

If your fence isn't strong enuf to support maturing Winter squash - just cut off the immature fruit and toss to the chickens. Young or mature, they'll appreciate it. And, the growing tips of the vines are edible also . . . I’ve eaten them myself
smile.png

Steve

You can plant pole beans, peas, vining tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, melons, climbing roses, basically anything that is a vegetable and vines as long as your run fencing and roofing is sturdy enough to support it. If you are unsure if something is a vining plant or not, look to see if it says determinant or indeterminant. If it says indeterminant on the label or package it will be a vining type plant. You can interplant bush types among your vining plants for variety and to give a different look to your runs as well.

I use those kennel panels for my runs so they are plenty sturdy to support vining plants.

If you use climbing roses to plant along the run, they will provide shade during the summer and some structure and shape during the winter months.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom