Suggestions for gate

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sgtfirstwife, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Sgtfirstwife

Sgtfirstwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Stedman
    My wonderful husband is going to fence off the area around our barn for our different types of poultry and our potbelly pig, but we have run into a snag that I hope you clever people may know how to fix. We can't figure out how to put a fence or something on our cattle gates to keep the animal in. I have attached a picture of the gate. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. Thx in advance.[​IMG]

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Tie wraps and 1/4" hardware cloth would probably work.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2 on the hardware cloth. Most of our gates gates I wired 2x4 wire or hardware cloth to ground level and they have an electric fence wire in front of them and/or on top of them. At TSC etc they have the same gate with hog panels or something similar they have already welded on to give you and idea.

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Kelsie, but from the picture it looks as if there's a big gap on the left. That could be a problem. You could always build an extension on the post on that end. I used a strip of plywood for a similar problem.

5. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    x4 on the hardware cloth, but I would use wire instead of zip ties. Zip ties will break down in the sun and will break of easily after a year or so.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks like you have cattle panel for the rest of the fence.

Just wire another piece of cattle panel to the gate, extend it beyond the latch side of the gate if in fact that is a gap between latch and post.

Pretty simple.

7. Sgtfirstwife

Sgtfirstwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Stedman
    Thanks for the idea of hardware cloth, but then we have the issue of the gaps on each side where gate opens and closes. You guys rock with great ideas. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by