Suggestions for making it through hard times - add some, no whining!

Okay I may need to want to go to the movies....I cannot afford it....I may then just want to "checkout" a film at a library....

McDonalds has new release movies for $1 a night. If you really want to see a new movie and are disciplined enough to bring it back, its a great deal.

Almost forgot: Beware of false economies. I realize it's hard when you just don't have the $$ in the first place (starting conditions are everything), but consider the Sam Vimes Boots Theory of Economic Unfairness:

Quote:
It's one thing to buy a cheapie $20 pair of shoes for kids who are going to grow out of them about 15 minutes after you walk out of the store. It's a whole different mess of back problems, non-healing foot sores, bunions and hammertoe to buy cheapie shoes for yourself. Spring for the good shoes, just get them in some neutral color that goes with everything. Likewise, you're better off spending the $$ on quality work clothes (no matter what kind of work we're talking about here) than to get the cheap stuff that has to be replaced annually. Good quality non-trendy clothes that are made out of fabrics that last (linen, silk, wool for nice stuff, heavy duty Carhartt canvas and the good longjohns for work) always are cheaper in the long run than the trendy polyester / spandex / nylon junk.

Now that were watching the amount we spend on the grocery's....Its like a game now for me...how low can I go !!!......

I have save the brand named containers that my children/hubby so dearly love and I place a"no name" cheaper brand in it.....Hot Chocolate....1/2 the price ...crackers....cereal....cheese....etc.....they never know !!!

Quote:
It's one thing to buy a cheapie $20 pair of shoes for kids who are going to grow out of them about 15 minutes after you walk out of the store. It's a whole different mess of back problems, non-healing foot sores, bunions and hammertoe to buy cheapie shoes for yourself. Spring for the good shoes, just get them in some neutral color that goes with everything. Likewise, you're better off spending the $$ on quality work clothes (no matter what kind of work we're talking about here) than to get the cheap stuff that has to be replaced annually. Good quality non-trendy clothes that are made out of fabrics that last (linen, silk, wool for nice stuff, heavy duty Carhartt canvas and the good longjohns for work) always are cheaper in the long run than the trendy polyester / spandex / nylon junk.

That is so true, and yet I have known some people that still insist on buying cheaper products and throwing them out when worn out - because they can get a new item for less money. They could not look long term and see that they were spending more.

Quote:
oh thats good!!!

I am a mean mean mommy/wife.....ha ha ha !!I have to do what I have to do... I wonder what else i could change over that way?

I never take my husband or daughter grocery shopping with me.

My daughter loves to go clothes shopping at the re-sale /thrift store...she really can't outspend my limit, even as a teenager and we find loads of brand name clothing that she loves.

The chickens are more than paying for their feed so my daughter gets to deposit the profit into her college account. We have so many people asking for eggs that we are getting 6 more chicks this spring.

More insulation in the attic, heating with wood is not cheaper here so we keep the programmable thermostat turned low when we are home and REALLY low at night and when we are all gone during the day.

Heavy drapes on the windows, all year round here. We have very sunny summers and cold winter nights. During the winter we close the drapes at night to keep out the cold but open them during the day to let in the sun's heat. Opposite during the summer, luckily in a dry climate the nights are very cool.

When running waiting for hot water to come at the faucet we have some old pitchers under the sink to collect the cold water. We use that water to fill dog dishes, chicken bowls, make tea / coffee, anything that requires water later in the day.

We use native species to landscape and everything is on drip irrigation.

I have a reusable dryer sheet I have used for going on year 4 now. I took an old thick blue wash cloth, pour about an ounce of liquid fabric softener on it (wad it up and squish it around, to soak up the softener good) I do this about every 4th or 5th time through the dryer. Then, when it starts getting kind of sticky feeling, I just sprinkle a little hot water on it every 3rd time I use it, until it is has reached the feel of a normal wash cloth again (usually 12 to 15 loads, sometimes more). Then I just start adding the liquid again. Sure makes a bottle of fabric softener go a long way and I don't have those used dryer sheets to throw out now. I either leave it in the dryer when I pull the clothes out after each use or hook it on a close pin clipped to the cupboard door handle above my dryer. It sure saves the pennies which add up to the $'s real fast.

It's always fun to see a neighbor from Nevada! Puff, I live about 10 miles from you. We're between the Summit Mall and Virginia City, near the bottom of the Grade. What kind of birds do you have?

Quote:
frow.gif
briteday and
welcome-byc.gif
glad to have you here. A mess of them
lau.gif
here is the link to my page with pics and a kind of brake down. I also have pics and explanation of a good chick saver I call MaMaHen I have used and it saves money too. Uses only
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
chickie power to operate.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19510

Back
Top Bottom