Suggestions for Separating and Reintegrating Breeding Groups?

I allow the breeders to return to the smaller coop for a week or two. Depending on if some are being bullied or being a bully. Then I close it up after turning them out to free range and have them go back into the main coop.
I think this sounds easy enough. How many roosters do you have? And space is critical.

Maybe it would work out to divide the flock. Maybe I'll need to rotate rooster breeds. Maybe I'll need to breed Blue Australorps and buy chicks of other breeds to keep some flock and egg color variety (should sell better than all one color). I'm collecting data now and will surely change my practices with experience. :D
Such a fun hobby - so many ways to do it.

I am playing with this idea - I have always had mutts, once of twice, I have played with pure breds, but like you always wanted a little more variety in my flock. So I completely understand.

Mrs K

I think this sounds easy enough. How many roosters do you have? And space is critical.

I am playing with this idea - I have always had mutts, once of twice, I have played with pure breds, but like you always wanted a little more variety in my flock. So I completely understand.

Mrs K
I have 3 different breeds with 5 different colors. I have 2 to 5 roosters for each. Which are usually at different stages of maturity.

Mrs K
My bantam flocks are smaller.(in number, not just size) So I have 2 to 4 mature roosters of each breed or color. My Barnevelder flock has 100 hens so I run 10 roosters with them. Plus 4 in reserve. I have a bachelor coop also. My coops and runs allow plenty of space. Plus when I am not collecting hatching eggs. Most everyone gets out to free range every afternoon.

My Barnevelder flock has 100 hens so I run 10 roosters with them. Plus 4 in reserve. I have a bachelor coop also. My coops and runs allow plenty of space.

Oh Wow! What a set up that would be to see - post some pictures.

3KillerBs - listen to the above poster - they know what they are doing, I am an amateur.

Well - playing devils advocate, as SC is about as different as you can be than SD in the summer time.

Would it not be better to have fewer birds in each set up? Is it the heat, or the humidity, or the rain? My son once went to Georgia, and said he was so surprised when the rain tried to drown you...something we seldom have here.

Mrs K

Well - playing devils advocate, as SC is about as different as you can be than SD in the summer time.

Would it not be better to have fewer birds in each set up? Is it the heat, or the humidity, or the rain? My son once went to Georgia, and said he was so surprised when the rain tried to drown you...something we seldom have here.

Mrs K

While I'd still never have less than 3 feeders and 2 waterers, it's easier to fill them in one place than to be filling and carrying feeders and waterers for multiple setups.

Likewise with hauling garden carts full of bedding.

The physical labor in the humid heat is the hard part for me -- especially when I have to work in the evening after having spent 8 hours on my feet at my job.

I have 5 coops with males in all of them theres no way id be able to have them all together as my males fight through the fencing esp my ameraucana rooster whos by himself in the smallest coop I have i did have a coop with two males but separated them for breeding i can almost guarentee they will not get along after breeding is done which is fine as I dont plan on keeping them. So when breeding is done or if hens start getting bald i will put those all together and have a male in each coop by themselves. I usually dont have this many males but im breeding for certain colors so i have to right now

While I'd still never have less than 3 feeders and 2 waterers, it's easier to fill them in one place than to be filling and carrying feeders and waterers for multiple setups.
The physical labor in the humid heat is the hard part for me -- especially when I have to work in the evening after having spent 8 hours on my feet at my job.

If you have several pens next to each other, it won't change the carrying & hauling very much.

Back
Top Bottom