Suggestions for what I can do to Amuse and keep chickens busy?

LeftAtAlbuquerque

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 2, 2010
New Mexico Land of Enchantment
Thanks to this great forum, I've read about hanging the cabbage, so this morning I hung up an ear of corn. They were afraid of it at first, but in a few minutes they loved it!! It was as amusing for me as it was for them!
lol.png

I'm trying to resolve a feather plucking issue, and I've read lots of suggestions on here. I tried Pik No More spray last night, and that didn't work. I'm adding scrambled eggs, meat scraps and yogurt to their diet. I'm going today to feed store to get BOSS and vitamins. Trying to free range as much as possible, but they're still small enough to worry about hawks, and I don't want to leave them out with my dogs yet.

Do you have any other suggestions to help me keep them entertained and busy?

Thanks,
Sue

56164_hanging_corncob_img_0595.jpg

That photo makes me smile. Thanks for sharing it!

The BOSS will help a lot - not only can you toss some in the coop bedding so they will scratch around for it instead of just picking it up super easily, but it will help make feathers nice and shiny. And while they're scratching around, they don't have time to pick at each other.

Thanks! This one made me smile, too - it was their reaction when I first hung it in there, the other four were hiding in a corner afraid of it!

56164_hanging_corncob_2__mg_0124.jpg

Yesterday it was pretty breezy here, and the shadows from the leaves blowing on the tree in front of their coop made the chicks jump around like it was a laser light.

Or maybe I'm as easily amused as they are???
big_smile.png

Quote:
It's what I call a cheap date. I tell my DH he is so lucky that is what I am. I can watch my Alpacas mess around in the pasture all day and be happy as a lark. IF those ducks are still at RK tonight, they may be going home with me too. I rub them under their little necks and they talk and talk to me. . .all four of them.

Oh, try a suet feeder - you know, just a regular suet feeder for birds. I got a triple sized one. You can stuff all sorts of nutritious treats in there (the corn is a good idea, but they really shouldn't have too much of it). You can stuff all sorts of greens, wedges of cabbage, etc., into the suet feeder and hang it like you did the corn. The more you stuff it, the harder it is for them to get out. It's hours of fun for them, and nutritious treats, too! Also - nothing like free ranging to get them to stop picking at each other!

Well, I guess I'm a cheap date too!
smile.png
Do you spin your alpaca wool?

Just came home with the black oil sunflower seeds. They were a hit. And it's going to be even more confusing for their little pea brains, as the floor is that black and white checkerboard vinyl (you can see a bit of it on the sides in the first picture).

Yay, I'm going to pull out my suet feeder that I put away this spring, that's a great idea! I've been feeding them a lot of greens from the garden (I even planted a row of swiss chard for them), but stupid me, I tore them all up into little pieces for them (like we do with our kids) to make it easier for them to eat. Now I get it...... I need to make it more DIFFICULT for them to eat. Poor little Dumpling (Black Jersey Giant). Foggy the White Leghorn is picking on her. I think I need to maybe try duct tape tonight, or find a new home for Foggy, unless you have any other ideas.

Back
Top Bottom