Suggestions on a "Production" duck flock

Frecs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
Brunswick County
Greetings!

It has been awhile since I frequented this forum but I'm back seeking the wise advise I know is found here.

I currently have a flock of Muscovy ducks (one drake and 6 hens) and 3 "bachelor" drakes (1 5 month old Pekin and 2 5 month old Blue Swedish). I know I need to deal with the excessive number of drakes for one thing but that is part of the decision making process I'm in at the moment...

I love the Muscovies but they are not egg production birds. The meat is good but I have trouble (physically, not emotionally) dispatching them.

I want to "gear up" to a production flock of ducks -- with eggs being the main focus but also meat (hopefully with ducks that are easier to dispatch than the Muscovies).

I'm considering the following ducks as options:
Pekin
Khaki Campbells
Blue Swedish

I'm also considering adding a few "weeder" geese...Cotton Patch or some such...are there ducks that do better in a mixed flock that includes geese?

Another question= if I have several breeds and a drake per breed, am I going to have fighting between the drakes? or does that only happen within each breed? (do drakes consider drakes of other breeds a threat or no?) Do folks with multiple breeds mix the birds or keep the flocks separate?

Pekins lay plenty eggs too! I've found dual purpose birds are equally poor at both meat and egg production. If you're most interested in meat. Get Pekins. If you're more interested in lots of eggs golden layer 300 or khaki Campbell. The thing is a khaki eats good too

The flock develops a pecking order regardless of breed. Our african gander is too dog, for instance our dutch hookbill drakes are somewhere below our saxony ducks and so on

Not sure where you are located, but if you are looking for Khakis, I have a co-worker trying to re-home a pair of 5 month old KC's, one female, one male in S.E.Pa.

They are listed on the re-homing thread.

In any case, good luck on your plans!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom