Suggestions on rehab of extreme curled toes/ splayed legs 6-8 week old chick

Also here is a few photos of her chair which we just googled and YouTubed the design. As @sunshinemomee said takes so much trial and error I never was able to sew the fabric in the correct position because nothing seemed right so I just would constantly adjust the safety pins.

Attachments

• C3BC4208-AAFE-4C90-A229-2DEDB651808E.jpeg
    C3BC4208-AAFE-4C90-A229-2DEDB651808E.jpeg
    790.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 0822E46D-917C-4AB9-96F1-D7AC9B1A7B30.jpeg
    0822E46D-917C-4AB9-96F1-D7AC9B1A7B30.jpeg
    551.3 KB · Views: 13
I figured I would update for anyone who was following well.. I decided not to cull Ruby Rupert because she just seemed to have so much fight left in her and welllll she is now WALKING! All of a sudden she gained more and more strength and balance. She started to fully stand and now she can walk! It’s amazing I honestly cannot believe it. She is definitely unsteady still. Recently her one leg/ foot began turning in a little so I may have to splint it again but she is living her best life. I try to let her outside to move around in a larger area when I’m there but if not she stays in a metal pen where she can eat grass and be with the others and I cover it . I’m going to have to make her something larger for long term as I don’t think she’ll ever walk perfectly and she will most likely come inside during the winter or in the basement area. I’m hoping she finds a friend I wish I could find another chicken with a slight disability because I hate to close one up on purpose.
The things I did were:
-mega dose with poultry cell and nutritional yeast
-splint her feet with cardboard shoes, mostly just one that was curled more
- wheelchair: she hated this but u did put her in it to sleep for a week or two I’m not sure if it helped but it did allow the muscles to stretch and her not lay in an awkward position. I would sometimes try to put her in during the day but she would mostly flip herself over so it worked best at night when she was more calm
-I used vet wrap to hold her legs closer when she began standing.

I don’t recommend keeping a crippled bird alive who is suffering but these things remained consistent with her from the moment I found her
- spunky as all heck; she was never lethargic or weak
- eating like a horse. She consistently scarfed down whatever I offered her fav is scrambled eggs for sure though
- trying to move, huge will to stand and move around. This was a negative at first because I would often find her completely flipped over or jammed into awkward spots in her crate or pen but it was just her trying to figure it out.
Below is a photo of her hanging with some pals and one fully standing :). I’m so proud of her I’m glad I didn’t give up!
View attachment 3567462View attachment 3567464
Ruby Rupert looks wonderful!

Thank you for the update, photos and details of how you've been caring for her.
I'm glad you didn't give up on her and she is doing much better!

So RubyRupert is def a Rupert lol I gave him 2 names because I suspected but his comb has gotten big and I’ve heard him do something resembling a crow although it is just a super pathetic random half scream usually lol. Recently one of my new little pullets I hatched, Pippie somehow hurt her leg and they’ve been together and taken a liking to each other. I plan on putting them together in a small section that I keep younger chicks that are newly ready for outdoors in while she is healing and hopefully they bond and maybe they can be the official babysitters lol. I really want him to have a friend because I’ll have to keep him indoors in the winter and I don’t want him to get lonely.

Attachments

• A3478C82-8915-4C16-92CF-F7A7CEC2B4FC.jpeg
    A3478C82-8915-4C16-92CF-F7A7CEC2B4FC.jpeg
    762.6 KB · Views: 11
So RubyRupert is def a Rupert lol I gave him 2 names because I suspected but his comb has gotten big and I’ve heard him do something resembling a crow although it is just a super pathetic random half scream usually lol. Recently one of my new little pullets I hatched, Pippie somehow hurt her leg and they’ve been together and taken a liking to each other. I plan on putting them together in a small section that I keep younger chicks that are newly ready for outdoors in while she is healing and hopefully they bond and maybe they can be the official babysitters lol. I really want him to have a friend because I’ll have to keep him indoors in the winter and I don’t want him to get lonely.
They are adorable together!
I hope they will get along and be able to stay as together as companions, time will tell on that one and I'm sure you'll give us an update (along with photos too!).

LOL Oh my, the first pathetic random half scream of a cockerel - this is one thing that just tickles me hear. It's so fun and of course hearing the voice change over the next weeks/months is interesting too.

I have a GinnyRon for the same reason. She was a kindergarten dropout - one of two chicks left over after a classroom hatching. That Spring, all of our new bird names were Harry Potter-themed, GinnyRon was a vivid redhead, so naming him/her after a Weasley was a no-brainer. By the time we knew "it" was a "she," the silly little girl already knew her name, so it stuck. She's a gorgeous New Hampshire Red hen - and true to the Weasley family name, she's a friendly, social gem!

Rupert is so very lucky that you found him and are giving him the best life possible. Thank you for not giving up on him. What a beautiful story of hard work and determination on both of your parts! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom