Suggestions on shrubs for hiding? (Pics)

psycache

Chirping
Dec 11, 2016
Salt Lake City, Utah
I am planning to put a coop along the fence in the picture. Also, my yard is pretty bare, and I want to plant some shrubs for chickens to free range, hide and play around. If they can eat off its fruits even better. What would people recommend?
089FE76F-BAE9-458A-8680-3DC1003E5950.jpg

Attachments

• 089FE76F-BAE9-458A-8680-3DC1003E5950.jpg
    089FE76F-BAE9-458A-8680-3DC1003E5950.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I JUST had an idea!! Of course having edible fruit-bearing shrubs would be nice, but how about "mini shelters"? You know like hunting blinds? See if you can score a used dog house or rabbit hutch (Disinfect/clean before putting out for your chickens) where they can "dive into" for quick shelter.

Roses are good too - the chickens LOVE the rose hips in the fall. But be uber careful about the additives you put on the roses. If you're planting them specifically for the chicks and not competitions for rose blooms, they should be fine. I suppose the chickens would also love the aphids.

I JUST had an idea!! Of course having edible fruit-bearing shrubs would be nice, but how about "mini shelters"? You know like hunting blinds? See if you can score a used dog house or rabbit hutch (Disinfect/clean before putting out for your chickens) where they can "dive into" for quick shelter.

Roses are good too - the chickens LOVE the rose hips in the fall. But be uber careful about the additives you put on the roses. If you're planting them specifically for the chicks and not competitions for rose blooms, they should be fine. I suppose the chickens would also love the aphids.
Brilliant. Sometimes people give away used dog house rabbit house on Craigslist. I will start watching!

My girls hide under the rose bush, the magnolia bush, and the cherry blossom bush, all of these plants are pretty old and big though. I think a artifical hiding place will be better while you wait for your bushes to grow.

Mine have a dog house next to the fence (but not close enough that my dog can hop onto the house and then over the fence) that they can duck into, they can also get into their coop at any time, and theres a swinging bench to hide under, and on the deck there is the tin roof, and tons of patio furniture to duck under. Anddd a really old shed the dogs tore apart so there are big ol holes, i've seen the girls rush into there a few times.

Back
Top Bottom