Suggestions on where to get less than 25 birds?

Our local feed store doesn't get the red rangers, only the cornish X. I was hoping for a mix to see what we really like.

Our local feed store doesn't get the red rangers, only the cornish X. I was hoping for a mix to see what we really like.

McMurray Hatchery has Red Ranger and Cornish X chicks straight run $2.58/chick. So you would have to order 15 total.

I put in an order for 7 of one and 8 of the other. With shipping to TN(where I live), the total is 55.48. It says they are available the week of May 20th. If you want the chicks vaccinated, it is a few cents more per chick.

Here is their website:

www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

I hope this helps

TO HOP2ITT: Mt. Healthy Hatchery in Cincinnati, OH, now has Red Rangers and will ship minimum of 15 for $40.50 plus shipping. These are very reliable, knowledgeable poultry suppliers and are close enough that the chicks will ship well. Their number is 1-800-451-5603. Good Luck and Best Wishes. Since this is your first time with these meat chickens follow any feeding instructions given and make sure to get THE HIGH PROTEIN STARTER RATHER THAN THE REGULAR>>>
+1

All our layers have come from Mt Healthy for 3 years now. They are the best! We've never lost a chick from them.....not one single chick! Plus,I've had experience dealing with them since back in the 1990's when I worked for Southern States Coops. Mt Healthy was the supplier for all the SS stores in our region and were always the best to work with!

This time of year, I would call all of your local grain stores to see if they have any in.
Our local feed store has allowed us in the past to do as little as 1. What they do is collect orders for a week from customers and then even if they don't have the minimum they order & the rest they put in the store to sell.

If you are worried about freezer space for 25 birds, you could only leave a few chickens whole, cut some in halves, and cut up the rest. I believe to get the brand name Freedom Rangers you have to purchase 25. Some hatcheries have their own versions like the red and black broilers that you could probably order less of. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I've just been wanting a mix of the two breeds to see which we have better luck with and which taste better but I didn't want to get 25 total. The local feed store only has the cornish X in and can't get the red rangers anymore for the season. I think the store has a few of the birds actually in stock but I can order them too. THey get them from Mt Healthy and I called the hatchery myself to see what they had. I guess I'll chew on it a bit and decide.

Last edited:
I have only had the CornishX with no experience with the Freedom Rangers, but I just wanted to let you know that the CornishX don't have to be the huge ugly monstrosities that you hear about. You can get fully feathered, healthy birds if you just cut back the feed and let them move around.

My neighbor split an order of CornishX with me and his are less than half the size of mine just because he feeds them less.

Back
Top Bottom