Suggestions please, sorry this got a little long

OK, this is going to be practical advice:

Making money off of a farm is typically hard work, and takes a lot of sheer labor and ingenuity.

Just maintaining the property (even at a hobby farm scale) can be a BIG job (this is why not all farmhouses and barns look perfect or perfectly clean when you visit them -- the people are too busy taking care of the out-of-doors).

The good news is you live in NC where there is a long growing season.

There are 2 ways to make a living on a farm: Sell a product and/or provide for your own needs off the farm in order to minimize spending.

I would either sell at an on-farm stand (if you're in a good location) or at a farmers market or two. You might be able to make a couple hundred dollars a week but only IF it's a very busy market and you have good, consistent product. I would not join a new market since they take a while to build clientele. I would vend only at an established, high-traffic market, possibly even in a nearby city if there is one, where you can charge higher prices.

I've heard varying reports about using a website --it really works for some people, others not well at all... You have to take into consideration all the shipping costs, etc if you're shipping anything farm-raised or perishable.

DON'T undersell your product. Lots of people are looking for bargains but I don't know many farmers supporting themselves who can survive giving others bargains. On the other hand, if you can BARTER for anything, that can be really helpful. Forget about bargain hunters and sell to people who are willing to pay your price and then maintain those relationships.

It's hard to make money selling eggs because of feed costs. If you want to make any money at all, charge a LOT for your eggs ($4 - $5/dozen if you can) and get control of feed costs by having efficient feeder pans and letting birds forage and keeping them from wasting feed.

If you can stand to raise and butcher a lot of broilers yourself, you might want to look into raising broilers for sale. But again, you have to be extremely efficient with feed, and keep the birds from dying (some newbies on here have struggled with that) because broilers are notoriously not the healthiest birds and there can be a big learning curve and investment in equipment.

Pigs are considered "mortgage lifters" because they eat absolutely anything and can have large litters. But again there's a lot of work involved in setting up pens and/or fencing to hold a pig in. You might sell 40-lb feeder pigs or invest in show quality pigs and sell them for 4-H products rather than for meat.

I'm writing a book here so I'll stop. But no animal or garden is easy. Animals have to be fed, watered, and given shelter even in pouring rain and the coldest winter snowstorm. You can never foresee what might happen -- an animal gets sick, or hurt, or dies and you incur vet costs or loss of that animal or damages or accidents. And gardens require constant work too.

By the way, I'm not discouraging you at all. I'm encouraging you. I just think you have to look at it as business, not as a "pastoral venture full of sunshine and pleasantries."

Here's a great book on all things farming: Carla Emery's "Encyclopedia of Country Living". It will tell you absolutely everything you need to know -- I'm not kidding.

You also might want to consider if you have a secondary non-farming skill to supplement -- like, can you make any crafts or do consulting (computers, accounting, etc), anything you may have learned skills on in the military for example.

Good luck!

Last edited:
As a long time city girl I have no advice on farming. I do have a blog though through Blogspot. It's free and there are ways to add in keywords and such. You can check mine out or go to Blogspot.com. It's really, really easy to set up and maintain.

Good luck to you. Once you get your site up and running be sure to let us know the address. We'll all go buy stuff.
smile.png

chickenannie , thank you for the very good post!

As I have been around this lifestyle most of my life, and actually had a small farm before, I do understand exactly what you are saying. I understand that it is really alot more work than getting a 9-5 job, but the issue is, I can't get a job in my condition, so we are going this route in lieu of and will expand as I have the physical ability to properly grow it and maintain it.

I do have plans for doing meaties after the first of the year, but wanted to get my egg producers started first. I know the eggs will probably not make me any money, but if they offset the cost of feed, I believe that will be a good start.

I plan on doing the processing myself at the farm unless medical needs dictate otherwise, and then will have a back-up processor abvailable. In NC, I can process 1000 birds to sell from the farm per year without having to be state inspected or use a USDA processor. If I go above 1000, then I have to fall under new rules.

As far as pigs, I really only intend on raising a couple of those to fill my freezer and will not have them full time. Only when the freezer will be in need, and two pigs will last my wife and I quite a while.

The farm we are going to has three barns and fencing is already in place in some areas. Although some repairs will need to be made, it won't be as bad as starting from scratch, and again will only expand as I feel I can do so.

I was hoping to start mainly with the chickens, egg producers first and then meaties, and also work in the kitchen producing my candies and breads at least through the holiday season. I am going to try and get set-up and inspected to sell at the farmers market for next spring, but I think they have so many hurdles and stipulations to jump through in this area, I wonder if it's worth it.

I have thought about having a roadside stand at the farm, but I just need to see if there is enough traffic to substantiate it.

Before my injuries and surgeries, I was a custom home builder and have made custom furniture as well over the years. I would like to get back into that one day (furniture only, no more homes), but there again, only as my allows. I have quite a bit of large walnut and oak trees in the back part of the property that could be logged and milled for fine grade furniture lumber which would help keep cost down on raw materials.

I also have a pond on the back of the property that I have thought about opening at some point as a catfish pay lake to help turn a few dollars as well.

I truly appreciate your ideas and by know means did it sound discouraging. There are so many people that actually get into things like this and believe it really is easy, but it's not. And I appreciate you reiterating that point. If I can produce enough food from this farm to subsrantially decrease what I spend at the grocery, and I can make an additional $500 + a month in profit from sales, I will be where I need to be. I am not trying to get rich, I am only trying to provide my family with good food, and also as many others with a good quality product as well.

Like I said, I was raised in Amish country, so hard work has been instilled in me from birth. I just happen to have this disability that I am working around for now that has totally changed the way we need to live and survive. I might as well try doing it with something that I have always enjoyed doing.

Please feel free to come up with other ideas if you have them. I am all ears right now, and appreciate anything you can throw my way!

CT

Great to hear you have carpentry skills -- if your health allows, that might be a great barter skill, or even better a paid skill.

You could always do small restoration work or something non-taxing on your body. and if you don't have the tools to set up shop, work for someone else under the table who is set up. People with money are ALWAYS looking for someone to restore wood furniture and boxes and stuff like that.

I think the $$ return on carpentry will be a lot faster, and more, than farm investment. And maybe you could do that on an as-needed basis only.

Last edited:
chickenannie, the problem with the construction though is it will be maybe two more years before I can get back into it, if I'm lucky. I just had spinal surgery 3 1/2 months ago and found out yesterday that it has failed, so I will have to undergo another one in another 6-9 months or so. That will keep me out of that type of industry for awhile. Since this was a multi-level fusion they did, they say the recoup time on being able to get back to something that physical will be 12-18 months.

Thats why I think if I can just start out with the chickens, since I have buildings that only need minor modification, and then just try and produce things from the kitchen until I can get back on my feet would be the best.

Worse case, when the chickens are going, and something happens, my wife can feed and water, and we can process at a USDA processor if I can't do it, but at least the progress can continue to flow. I am not really fond of doing construction jobs for others anymore unless it's a last resort. Construction is what broke my back in the first place and has led me down this long, miserable path. If I create furniture out of my own shop from time to time, then I can sell what I have completed when completed. People just don't understand when you are hired to do something for them that sometimes things take time, and it seems they always want it tomorrow with the highest quality available. I just don't want that stress, especially if I don't feel good for a day or two and need to close the shop doors and just feed the chickens.

But, if I can provide the wonderful chocolate covered carmels, and fabulous cheesecakes that I have become very well known for, that don't take a lot of physical stress or time, that might help me get through the next few years.

A few weeks ago, we had a bbq fundraiser at church and I provided a couple of homemade choc cakes for desserts. They had quite a bit left over, and I had a couple come up to me Wednesday night after church dinner and said that they had to come back down Sunday afternoon to see if there was any left. She said they bought the remaining choc cake that was left over and have been eating it all week. She also said that her she always swore her grandmother made the best homemade choc cake in the world, but that mine has trumped that. (sorry grandma, didn't mean to steal the title, I am just very proud of what I produce).

And if I can have egg producing chickens in the coop, and I am doing the baking for now which would be physically easier until I recover, then I will be providing the eggs to go into my baked goods which should be a little cheaper than having to buy them.

Anyways, just my thoughts, keep them coming. If I sound completely off base, tell me to wake up. Just trying to sort through all of this to come up with my own bail out plan. Thanks for the info,

Do you do small scale carpentry stuff, like wood carving and whatnot? That might be an option, especially since you have a wood supply on site. Beautifully carved pieces sell for quite a bit. You could perhaps create your own art niche.
Also, if you have a steady hand with a dremel tool you might could do egg art. The eggs would be there. You'd just have to blow them out (scrambled eggs for dinner!) and carve away. I bet specialty stores would carry those for you.

Sorry. I'm just brainstorming here.
smile.png

I wasn't thinking "construction", I was talking about very small scale woodwork restoration -- like chairs and wood boxes. I think you could be sitting down to work on that kind of more intricate work. Anyways, it was just an idea -- I was at a festival recently and met an 80 yr old woodworker who did just that and the work was beautiful as well as plentiful.
No, your ideas sound great -- chocolate cheesecake will always sell! Maybe if you can buy fresh milk from a neighbor farmer, plus your own eggs, it could be exceptionally rich (and cheap) and yummy.

Quote:
Don't be sorry! I just watched a show the other night on how to do egg art and thought I would love to try that, great idea, thanks.

Yes, that kind of construction I could probly do just fine, and would be enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom