Suggestions with my dog... (help)

If you've ruled out all physical problems, (she's 18 wk .. could it be pano (growing pains)? mostly hits large dogs).. It's mental and sounds like she's either being insecure or posessive of you and don't want the other dogs around. (mom has 2 mps and they are mental train wrecks, bark at everything... it's bad!!). She is just a puppy though....

#1.. no matter whats wrong with her - stop coddleing her! Do not pick her up and hold her when she crys out! I'd observe her behavior as much as you can, not what happened before during and after crying. What does she do if you pick her up vs not.. ... she'll figure out if she acts like a nut case, she'll get the attention she wants. Ignore her except for walking, eating and bathroom time, you should be the one to introduce play time and everything else. Switching the food could cause stomach upset, you may want to mix it together for a few days and transition back to her regular food. And put her back in the crate if you originally kept her in one.

My moms min pin got sick from an immual issue. The dog was not getting better dispite the vets efforts. My parents had to leave on a trip so I watched the dog for a week. The vet said she knew the dog would get better with me because I didn't coddle her... and she did. My parents wouldn't even let the dog walk around. My point is that if you make a big deal about the dog being sick it will affect them... if the dog figures out he can get what he wants by faking it... he will!

#2.. if you haven't done any obedience with her you should start (I know alot of people dont think little dogs need it, but they do). Make her earn her food, potty breaks etc. Keep her off the furniture, bed, lap etc. You may think you're alpha now, but it sounds like she may win the head games!
wink.png
Make sure she's getting enough excersize! (even at 18 wks you can start teaching ob, but no corrections)

I really hope the dog is ok and she's just playing head games... I'm confident you'll win!

Sorry I typed this thinking you said 18 months old, not weeks. I made some corrections but some would apply more to an older pup.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do training for potentiality therapy dogs (not to be confused with a service dog) she has been in training since 10 weeks old

the only reason she was taken out of the crate was so that I can monitor her food intake and poop, as well with her fluids but she is still being crated during the day.. (actually she will be going back to her crate tonight)

I am not coddling her per sey : when she starts the ruckus I examine her to see if there is a bloating issue like she is having problems passing gas, or to see if I can pin point the area of discomfort. once i can see that there is no swelling or bloating she gets put right back to where she was..

UPDATE:
she has rounded to corner... she has gone back to playing just not as hard as her sister plays (same age) minimum crying out, she is not flipping out when anyone comes near me anymore .. she just jumped off the couch and yelped and then carried on with life. I am leaning towards a pulled muscle, but still not ruling out tummy trouble because the smell coming out of her rear when she farts would knock over an elephant...lol sour smelling

there was negative results across the board with the stool, urine, and blood testing

but the most important point is she is getting better.

its kinda funny i told DH i was going to weigh her every day and chart it and look for weight loss . So i hooked my kitchen scale up last night, placed a salad bowl on the scale and reset it to zero again and placed the dog in the bowl. she is 1915 grams... I did this yesterday afternoon... and by last night we were noticing an improvement and today was a complete turn around... so DH in his infinite wisdom says that i should have threatened her with the scale before... typical woman hates the scale and will do anything to hide her true weight...LOL
gig.gif

Last edited:
Silly- With a small dog, making them 'earn' potty breaks is a good way for the 'owner' to earn an accident in the house. Small dogs, especially small puppies, don't have the ability to hold it in as well as larger dogs. not to mention some small dogs are prone to housebreaking issues as it's easier for them to sneak someplace unnoticeable and have an accident, and since the amounts are small it is more likely it will go unnoticed...

well, regardless,.. the point is that having had yorkshire terriers for 16 years now, I can assure you they know basic obedience but don't have to 'earn' the right to go potty outside where I want them to go.

My Pom started pulling what I call a "Cindy Brady"(fairyprincessepisode) meaning she'd started limping for sympathy. When I knew nothing was wrong with her. First it'd be one leg then switch to the other & then she'd be fine after being loved on a bit. I think without to much humanizing, it's because the first time she was kinda hurt (wehave2pyreneesalso)and got a bunch of love & concern from us & figured she found something. When we got her buddy it got worse, as the new baby got some extra lovin being new and all. Now she doesn't do it anymore. It was kinda funny though. I would watch out for her jumping off furniture ect. that's high for her size, could lead to a problem later on the knees or legs & feet. Depends to if the breed is prone to leg,hip or knee problems. Good Luck, I hope your pup turns out to be okay.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats what i was going to say..
i had a min pin and she used to yip like that sometimes and just act off...
come to find out she had that luxating (sp?) patella thing with her legs/knees....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom