Suggestions with my dog... (help)

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I have a 18 week old female min pin, this is the story

On Monday evening she started yelping as if she was being hurt... so I thought one of the other dogs nipped at her and scared her.. so we cuddled her calmed her down...

Tuesday out of the blue everyone was in the kitchen no other dogs were around her and she did the same thing.. yelping and whimpering. I gave her the once over to see if she was hurt found nothing... went to put her down and it started again... offered moist food and she refused, offered her a tiny tiny piece of human food she ate it no prob (it was like the size of my finger nail).. we sat with her on the couch and as soon as one of the other dogs came near her she yelped again and whimpered.

Tuesday night bed time.. we did not put her in the crate with the others we kept her out and made DS's room an ICU.. so we could monitor her input and out put and so she could not be picked on (if that was the case) . During the night she ate 1/2 of the hockey puck size of moist puppy food, peed and pooped... poop looked normal, no sign of blood in urine. Still very sucky in the AM

took her to the vet he inserted a cath to collect a urine sample and it was negative with a dip, but will send the rest to the lab. took her temp and it was fine, palpitated her tummy normal .. so all we have to go on is she is acting sucky wants to be near her people

Vet said he can hold her for observation and see what happened at the cost of $100+ a day or I can monitor her at home but he cant see anything wrong.. stool sample is still out for testing will find out by tomorrow. Blood work was ordered too but he said dont expect much

so heres the details.....

Female 18 weeks (Born Jan 10/10)
pink gums
eating and drinking, pooping and peeing
wet nose
no fever
no vomiting
no diarrhea

wont play or leave my (or anyones) side
acting hurt when no injury can be found

no change in food or schedule

I am thinking 1 of 2 things...

the onset of separation anxiety
or
upset tummy from eating cat poop or chicken poop

I am going to start weighing her daily at the same time every day with my kitchen scale and if i notice weight loss at lease then we will have a symptom right now its just a behavior change

what do you think? and dont tell me to change vets... my Vet is the Best vet in Ontario and I am not making that up... it is the OVC (ontario vet college) its where ALL the vets in ontario send their difficult cases, or extreme cases.. same vet office for the RCMP horses... so I know I dont have a loopy vet

I'd be leaning towards behavioral problem. Vet says she okay, no problem with stoolies, no visible injuries.

She whines if you put her down.
Whines if you ignore her.
Whines if anyone else might get attention.
Whines if she doesn't get the food she wants.

Sounds to me like she's more cat than dog... she doesn't want a best friend/owner... she wants staff!

And It's Working... so why would she ever stop if she knows throwing a tantrum gets her ALL the attention and ALL the tastey morsels?

Not much different than a toddler really. Going to have to put your foot down or who knows what kind of monster she'll grow into.

Sounds like what my dog does when they want attention just one question check her toenails make sure that they are all cut and that maybe there is one broken that hurts when standing, just a thought have a dog that has very sensitive toe nails and will scream if they are to long.

First thing that pops into my mind it muscle strain. Young dogs learning about leads are sometimes injured by the unexpected jerk once they reach the end of the lead/chain. Another scenario is someone over correcting with a lead in a manner too strong for a small dog like that. Another possibility is playing got too rough with the other dogs. What ever it was, you may never know.

Its quiet difficult to detect muscle strain. Dogs have to live with the pain of undiagnosed pain and its no wonder why they aren't active and don't want to eat. I know I just want to be left alone and am not too eager to eat when I am hurting.

You did the right thing by bringing her to the vet. Wait for the results on the stool sample and give her some space. If she uses a lead connected to a collar, consider a harness.

I was thinking the same thing.... The one point that concerned me was the sudden onset

the puppies cried in the crate and got ignored...

I am going to put her back in the ICU tonight with the other half can of food.. Other then a behavior problem I was also thinking the other dogs may be bullying her. I am just so afraid that she will go down hill really fast if i dont monitor her input and output...

so if all is well come tomorrow night I will put her in the ICU with the dry stinkin food everyone else gets...LOL

I still dont want to rule out an upset tummy

she is already on a harness, because she is so small i dont trust just a collar

Last edited:
The Miniature Pinscher is a hardy little fellow, who is proud, and courageous. They are loyal to their masters, spirited and alert, with high energy. Intelligent, lively and brave. Generally good with other pets and children so long as the humans provide proper leadership towards the dog. Their behavior depends entirely upon how you treat the dog. Do not let this sweet little dog fall into the Small Dog Syndrome, human induced behaviors, where he believes he is pack leader to humans. That is when problems start to arise. They will become demanding, headstrong and will begin to bark more than you wish. If you allow this, the dog may become a tyrant. If you are not this dogs pack leader, they will become protective and may become very aggressive with other dogs. They can also become rather suspicious towards strangers.

here is the site where i read the information above.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/miniaturepinscher.htm

Quote:
thanks i have all the info on their personality... she knows I am alpha thats for sure she shows total submission .. I am worried of the others are bullying her... min pins are also prone to separation anxiety

Some dogs have a much lower level of pain tolerance than others. I would be concerned that she might have been bumped by one of your other dogs and be suffering muscle or arthritic type pain. Such conditions can be impossible to diagnose. Fairly recently I had a female beagle develop severe pain symptoms. Several X-rays , blood works, and bills pushing a thousand dollars later, we determined that she had severe pain of undefined origin. In other words we don't know what caused it. I treated her symptomatically (steroids and Rimadyl) for several months. Her symptoms still remained and we were barely controlling the pain. After going over her bloodwork once again, the vet commented on her low-normal thyroid level. Put her on L-thyroxin and the symptoms of pain went away. We still don't know if that was causing the pain issues, but she will be on thyroid meds for the rest of her life. If this is a pain issue, just be aware that frequently the cause may be impossible to diagnose. Good luck, I know how frustrating this sort of situation can be.

Back
Top Bottom