Suggstions for used pine shavings

N4HHM

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
I have amassed a considerable amount of used coop/poop shavings.
Wondering what others do with them. Was thinking of running them through my shredder and using for mulch.
Any thoughts??

I put the poop and shavings on a compost pile. I used to clean out the coop too often and had way too many shavings compared to poop on the pile. It takes a long time to completely compost, but it actually helps my soil, even without being completely composted, as the soil drainage is pretty poor.

My garden is only about 20' x 50'. I took a pickup bed full of chips and poop and covered my garden. I tilled it in and let it rot and compost during the winter. I got some friends with chicken houses. About once a year they clean them out. They sell what they clean out the houses. Farmers buy it to fertilize their hay fields. I let them know how much I need and they will save it for me. I will work out debt later.

I've been adding mine to the compost pile as well, but I think I am cleaning it out too often as well. :rolleyes: It seems to me a lot of folks on here use a kitty scoop to clean out the poop from the coop. I think I am going to start trying that.

Back
Top Bottom