suitable arc for quail

Welcome to BYC and the quail forums!

That would work well on any quail for housing, however you should probably add 1/4 or 1/2 inch hardware cloth to the outside of that wire as night time critters and put their nasty paws thru it and drag quail out. You should also does something with the base, like sink hardware cloth deep into the ground or place the entire thing on buried railroad ties, (use your imagination) as what you don't want is those same night time critters digging under neath.

As far as only having 2 quail, if going with Coturnix Quail, you might want to add a few more females and keep only one male. The male might be too rough on just one female in mating. Good luck!

hi thanks for your reply!

I think I'm going to use this hutch as I have one empty already:

Would that be ok if put on paving slabs so no predators could get in? Should I put netting at the roof to stop quail knocking themselves out if they jump?

Also, I'm planning to only get female birds so think I will get 2 or 3 japanese quail.

Ok, you will want to add 1/2 inch hardware cloth to the outside, and the bottom and raise the pen (put it on cemet blocks)
smile.png

I wouldnt get that because I used that but mine kept hitting its head on the top when it flies and got head injuries. I have 2 Coturnix/Japanese quail too and mine found it too small. ( both females)
Get one with a flat top so you can put a towel on the top to prevent them from hitting their heads on the top
smile.png

My quails NEVER went into the sheltered part of the hutch on those sorts of hutches. when I made a way bigger enclosure, i put in a bigger shelter that was less enclosed and they loved it.

Goodluck with the quails!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom