Suitable Companion for lone African goose

Plus, African, and all the greylag descendants are now under the name Anser Anser domesticus, they may have DESCENDED from different species but they are NOW the same species. Therefore they cannot "hybridize", simple mix breed. Now a Canada goose and a domestic goose breed would make hybrids.

Last edited:
I am not up on terms but I was thinking Hybridize was when to different breeds crossed. I am pretty sure Canada goose who breeds with domestic produce sterile goslings.
Carrosaur is right, The term hybridization is used when two different species are crossed. Usually the hybrids are infertile as their genotypes are similar not the same, there's too many differences in chromosome sequence and the puzzle pieces don't match up. I'm not sure about Canada geese, they're a whole different genus (Branta), and I've never seen crossed offspring or talked to anyone who had them. The people I talked to who have cygnoides/anser offspring said they never got them to reproduce, so it would be interesting to see someone who has a hybrid that does

Carrosaur is right, The term hybridization is used when two different species are crossed. Usually the hybrids are infertile as their genotypes are similar not the same, there's too many differences in chromosome sequence and the puzzle pieces don't match up. I'm not sure about Canada geese, they're a whole different genus (Branta), and I've never seen crossed offspring or talked to anyone who had them. The people I talked to who have cygnoides/anser offspring said they never got them to reproduce, so it would be interesting to see someone who has a hybrid that does

The thing is African geese are classified Anser Anser Domesticus and Chinese are classified Anser cygnoides.

Were you not talking about the greylags? You said you were thinking of Poms, Buff, etc. I thought you were asking if THEY would "hybridize"?
No, I apologize for the confusion! I'm only getting one gosling for my female, so the offspring from that goose (buffs, poms, etc) over my goose (African) would be a hybrid, that's what me and lydia were talking about, the possible pair breeding

The thing is African geese are classified Anser Anser Domesticus and Chinese are classified Anser cygnoides.
I've seen both African and Chinese geese listed as Anser cygnoides domesticus, occasionally I see the chinese reccorded as a subspecies/variance (Anser cygnoides domesticus var. orientalis or just anser cygnoides orientalis for short), see this article about split domestication referencing the domestic species http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/10465896

scientists classifiy species (depending on the biologist and what the scientific community generally agrees on) usually by tacking on domesticus to the original species name or replacing the species name with it (ex., Gallus domesticus or Gallus gallus domesticus is the chicken. Gallus gallus is the red jungle fowl, generally accepted as the origin of the domestic chicken). Saying that the African goose is Anser anser domesticus would indicate that it was domesticated from Anser anser (greylag goose) which we know is incorrect

Last edited:
In the meantime, get a mirror for her to see herself for companionship. Shame on that pet sitter I am so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom