Suitable Nutrition across Bantam/Hybrid Flock

Lizzy733

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 13, 2018
New Zealand
Hello Everyone, I am new to the forums and have a lovely small flock of 4 and 5 week old chicks: 3 brown shaver hybrids and 1 silkie bantam. As they are getting close to 'move to grower feed' age, I just wanted to check in on recommendations of what would be the best rounded feed to use going forward for both breeds to maintain them in a healthy condition.

As I live in NZ, there really isn't much choice when it comes to 'All Flock' feeds. The only one I can find boasts no animal protein (Takanini Chook Chow), which is worrisome. And I've been told 'grower' will not be sufficient for my Silkie.

My question is, what would be the most important ingredients\percentages I should be on the lookout for considering my flock composition and should I be supplementing their feed to provide a more rounded nutrition overall?

Cheers,
Lizzy

What is the brand name if your current feed?
It's just a generic unmedicated starter crumble - Unbagged and split at the pet store, so I have no idea. I picked it up with my shavers from Bird Barn as that is what they were currently on. The breeder I received my silkie from didn't seem concerned with the crumble's nutrition, just the grower and layer feeds, so I didn't worry. He/She's been on it for 3 weeks with no issues. I'd gotten a 5kg bag which they're only about halfway through.

It's just a generic unmedicated starter crumble - Unbagged and split at the pet store, so I have no idea. I picked it up with my shavers from Bird Barn as that is what they were currently on. The breeder I received my silkie from didn't seem concerned with the crumble's nutrition, just the grower and layer feeds, so I didn't worry. He/She's been on it for 3 weeks with no issues. I'd gotten a 5kg bag which they're only about halfway through.
You can use this thread to see the percentages of most complete poultry feeds.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feed-comparison-spreadsheet.1275920/

There is at least one brand that is sold in your area, I can't think of the name right now but will dig around for it as soon as I can.

There is a link to the actual Google sheet in the first post of that thread which has direct links to each feed.

I'd worry about anything that's repackaged, because of it's possible age since milling. Having a recent mill date on each bag of feed matters!
Here, all-flock feeds are easy to find; maybe stay with a grower feed if an all-flock feed isn't available, or fresh.
Laying hens need separate oyster shell anyway, and will eat it to meet their needs.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom