1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sulfa drugs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmin' mama, Feb 25, 2011.

1. farmin' mama

farmin' mama New Egg

Feb 17, 2011
    can you eat eggs from a hen that has been treated with sulfa drugs? If so, how long after stopping treatment should you wait?

TIA

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It should say on the package.
    Which drug is it?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. farmin' mama

farmin' mama New Egg

Feb 17, 2011
    Sulfadimethoxine- we are battling fowl cholera

I don't have the package, I'm looking at ordering some for our birds and it doesn't say on the despcription.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    farmin' mama :

Sulfadimethoxine- we are battling fowl cholera

I don't have the package, I'm looking at ordering some for our birds and it doesn't say on the despcription.

Sulfadimethoxine is not recommended for chickens over 16 weeks of age...and not for layers. Tetracyclines are also recommended for fowl cholera...same thing, not recommended for layers. Even if chickens were treated with with either, there's no guarantee that it will work AND they will remain carriers if it does work. It is normally recommended that chicks be vaccinated to prevent fowl cholera. BTW, has it been confirmed as fowl cholera? I think certain states require that fowl cholera be reported, not sure though. It might be best to cull, thoroughly clean the environment with oxine...dispatch any pests such as mice/rats etc... as well.​

6. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    That doesn't make me feel better, but it was recommended to me to use sulfa' for a respiratory rattle one of our 1-year-old layer hens had. It cured her right up! We only used it for two days; half an ounce in a gallon of water and only used a tiny dish of maybe 2z of medicated water at the most, three times at the most in those two days.

There's no mention of anything on the label aside from expiration date and the drug name. 12.5% oral solution in a bottle.

That PDF doesn't mention it nor when the eggs are safe.

Can anyone help with this? We rely on her for eggs...

Thank you!

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  7. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    Anyone? :|

My chicken doctor claimed 4 weeks but I'm worried..

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  9. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  10. It was first state vet's "Sulfadimethoxine" 12.5%. I'm not sure if that's Sulmet or not.

I'm looking at at bottle of Sulmet and it says (sulfamethazine sodium).

I'm also interested in replies on this thread, because my layers have been drinking sulmet treated water for 2 days as a preventative (possibly exposed to coryza) and I was wondering the same things about eating their eggs...

~denise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by