Sulfa question

Chicken Oma

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2020
Sulfadimethoxine oral suspension (not oral solution for use in water) administered to a 3 lb chicken for coccidiosis, dose 1 ml, to be followed by 0.5 ml for 4 more days. If there is someone who knows if this was the correct dose, I would appreciate a reply. Thank you 🙏

I came up with a dose of 1.5 ml for the first dose and half that for subsequent doses. This is a dog/cat dose but I think would be the same for a chicken. Albon is a coccidiostat. It will not kill the coccidia. If your chicken is solo and indoors you could treat for 5 days and clean the environment daily. If outdoors I recommend treating for 10-14 days.

Sulfadimethoxine oral suspension (not oral solution for use in water) administered to a 3 lb chicken for coccidiosis, dose 1 ml, to be followed by 0.5 ml for 4 more days. If there is someone who knows if this was the correct dose, I would appreciate a reply. Thank you 🙏
I am sorry, 4%.

Do you have the 5% or the 12% suspension? Read post 50 here for the different dosages per pound:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-problem-please-help.1189467/page-5
If you have the 5% suspension, dosage is 0.5 ml per pound or 1.5 ml daily. Double check this with your vet’s instructions. Sulfa antibiotics can be toxic.
Thank you very much. My daughters chicken appeared to have either a seizure or anaphylactic reaction to the medicine within 10 minutes and passed away in the waiting room while I was waiting to pay my bill. So sad 😢. When the vet told me he was dozing a 3 pound chicken the same as he would be 3 pound puppy I began to wonder if he was using the right dose. Thank you for your help

Thank you very much. My daughters chicken appeared to have either a seizure or anaphylactic reaction to the medicine within 10 minutes and passed away in the waiting room while I was waiting to pay my bill. So sad 😢. When the vet told me he was dozing a 3 pound chicken the same as he would be 3 pound puppy I began to wonder if he was using the right dose. Thank you for your help
sorry, dosing a 3 lb chicken....

Back
Top Bottom