sulmet for cocci??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenfinatic14, Jun 30, 2011.

1. chickenfinatic14

chickenfinatic14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    Im a bit afraid of using sulmet on 5 week old chicks for cocci treatment. My corid is coming for a few days. I heard something about using yogurt to restore good bacteria. Is there any risk with sulmet.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    With that medication it can be a lot harder on their poor little immune systems.... Just be careful, follow the directions, and make sure to give them the yogurt (a treat of it for a few days) after they finish their treatment.... Many prefer Corid because it is much easier on their kidneys and immune system. But Cocci is NOT one that you want to hold off treating.....so use what you can get a hold of Today !

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Quote:X2 - treat them now!

4. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Ive been using sulmet on my young flock also, way easier on them then the cocci is! you can help restore the good gut flora, but if left untreated too long, they will die. You never know what day is going to be the straw that broke the camels back. I would treat asap, and I prefer the sulmet, the corrid is the same thing they medicate chick food with, so it is not always that effective. Good luck! Hoping for a full recovery!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by