Sulmtalers Thread

Pics
sigh.  red wheaten sulmtalers?  more to learn about I guess!
red wheaten

hmmm. I thought that was a regular wheaten rooster? I know it isn't really wheaten color but thought that was the maile coloring of wheatens, while the hen in the corner of the pic is a wheaten?

I just bought my first Sulmtaler pair.....they are both four months old and I named them Archie and Edith
wink.png
They're still settling in (it's only their second day here), and I'm looking forward to owning these. I keep chickens for pets and eggs, but I've thrown around the idea of hatching some chicks eventually.

I'm wondering about the eggs - when the 3 pullets started laying, they laid creamy tan eggs. Now, two of the pullets eggs have changed to white...and all three continue to lay small eggs at 9 months. Is the size and color variation normal? These three are in a separate coop, so I know these eggs aren't coming from other hens.

I'm wondering about the eggs - when the 3 pullets started laying, they laid creamy tan eggs.  Now, two of the pullets eggs have changed to white...and all three continue to lay small eggs at 9 months.  Is the size and color variation normal?  These three are in a separate coop, so I know these eggs aren't coming from other hens.

That is they way egg color works, the color fades as the hen lays more eggs, check the marans thread they talk all the time about how dark their eggs use to be and they are just brown eggs after several months. The small size is normal. If you want lots of big eggs then a Sulmtaler is not the breed. Sulmtalers are a meat breed. They put their focus into producing yummy meat. Opposite of a Sulmtaler.....Leghorns are little stringy wirey birds that put their focus into producing lots of large eggs, no meat on them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom