Sultan after frostbite

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ford8n, Feb 7, 2014.

1. ford8n

ford8n New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Eagle WI
    I have a 9 month old white sultan named Siri that just lost both her feet to frostbite. She lives as a house pet and is learning to get around without her legs.

Siri's story:

Siri lost both of her legs to frost bite at the beginning of the year. Siri is a perfect example of chickens having lots of personality. She is just a big sweetie that likes peach yogurt. If you are looking for an awesome breed of chicken I would highly recommend the White Sultan.

I will keep the updates coming,

Eli

P.S. Does anyone have ideas for some treats I can give Siri until the snow melts?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about your bird. These things happen. We would love to see her picture!

Here is the treat chart of different goodies that you can offer her...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

You also might like to join in on this active thread, the House Chicken thread. They would love to talk to you and see your baby!...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

This thread has been very active for a few years.

Good luck with your baby!

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry Siri lost her legs to frostbite, but it is nice that she has a place in your home. It is amazing that she is learning to get around. It would be great to get updates on her progress.

4. ford8n

ford8n New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Eagle WI
    Here is a picture and a video

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow, she gets around pretty decently. It looks like it was her feet and just some of the leg that was affected. I wonder if something could be made to help protect the end of her legs and help a bit with stability like out of silicone. I heard about something like that on TV for a duck who lost his feet. Siri does look like a sweet chicken, and her personality shines.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Awww.....she looks like a real sweet heart! And yes, she does pretty good getting around! She may get better as time goes on. But you might look into something as Scratch n Peck mentioned that might help with her feet.

What a sweety! Thanks for sharing!!

7. ford8n

ford8n New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Eagle WI
    turns out Siri is a rooster. She started crowing today.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I guess you will have your own personal alarm clock at your bedside! [​IMG]

9. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Now you can call him Sir Siri. I love having roosters around. I hope Siri is still getting around okay.

10. ford8n

ford8n New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Eagle WI
    He has been doing great. When I let him outside, he follows me everywhere. If if start up the tractor, he flies into my lap wanting to go for a ride.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by