Sultan chicks won't stop crying!! What could be wrong??

SilkiesForEver

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
I have two sultan chicks that just cry all day long! I am not new to raising chicks (have done it for years) but have never had chicks cry this much. Its almost like they are away from their family and are calling to find them. I have them in a brooder with 9 other chicks from Ideal, so they have been together from day 1 (or so). I've looked them over and can see no apparent injuries, or anything else that could be bothering them. They stop sometimes when they take naps, but will wake up and stand there calling.
hu.gif
Any idea what could be wrong??
Thanks.

That's odd. It's probably the stress of being shipped. Check the temperature in your brooder. I've never had Sultans before, but maybe they're more sensitive to temperatures and/or drafts.

Check temp and make sure they know where the food is. We had one that did that and her vent was prolapsed/clogged. It really didnt look bad but after I used a q tip to assist she didnt cry anymore!

They were shipped a little less than a week ago. Could they still be stressed from shipping? I've checked their vents and everything looks normal. The temp. in their brooder in just right, and they know where the food and water is. Its really stumping me.
idunno.gif
I have them upstairs in a quiet room so they can sleep.
Any help is appreciated!

They were shipped a little less than a week ago.  Could they still be stressed from shipping?  I've checked their vents and everything looks normal.  The temp. in their brooder in just right, and they know where the food and water is.  Its really stumping me. :idunno   I have them upstairs in a quiet room so they can sleep.  
Any help is appreciated! 

I by far am not a good source for information as I'm a newbie, but I've been told that a stuffed animal can soothe chicks during the first week, one of the chickie moms that let me pick her brain for info told me she keeps a stuffed animal with small groups of chicks to help them feel protected. Just be sure there isn't anything unsafe for them on the animal.

its possible that they wher ein a hatchery tray of hundereds of chicks and now they are only 2 they feel lonley

i know the leghorn breed can diew from being split away from its friends

Well I have them in a brooder with nine other chicks so they shouldn't feel alone.
idunno.gif
I'll try the stuffed animal and let you know how it goes.
thumbsup.gif

That's odd. You can also try a feather duster for them and see if that helps. Try distracting them with a yummy "treat" like chick crumble mixed with warm water to form an oatmeal consistency. Also make sure you see them eat, drink and poop.

Unfortunately I had a polish chick do this who wasn't growing and only lasted less than a week. I never found out what was wrong, but the hen who was raising it knew something was off and rejected it :\

Hmmmm, the stuffed animal seemed to scare them more than offer comfort.
hu.gif
I have them in a quiet room and turned out the brooder light. They seem to like that alot better. They sleep all nice and cuddled and don't cheep as much. I think maybe it was that they weren't getting enough sleep with the brooder light on at night.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom