sultan thread!

thechickenguy

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
woodsfield ohio 43793
show off them sultans. feel free to say anything you want about them. likes. dislikes. anything. heres some of my sultans. i got them april 26,2010 (about 8 weeks old) from mcmurray as packing peanuts for my replacement cochins. i love em.

Picture016.jpg

Picture019-1.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Picture037.jpg

also does anybody know what sex/gender they are? the sultan in the third pic i trimmed his/her head feathers because he/she couldnt see. they hung down past his/her eyes so he/she couldnt see. feel free to guess on their gender/sex. thanks
thechickenguy.

Last edited:
males have more hair like feathers and females have a poof (cotton ball) like a polish they are sorta quirky but can be fun. i wish they would develop some diff colors, the white gets awful dirty sometimes enjoy!

Thanks for posting the photos. I got Sultan day-olds this week. There's not a whole lot online about them. From what I have read, the are very sweet.

I believe I posted that on your gender thread. In my opinion, it is true. My first rooster was the only one to become ill out of 10 or so others, with a respiratory infection. It was pretty nasty; he was all mucusy and nasaly and it sounded pitiful when he crowed. He also had trouble breathing. When separated, his medication stopped working I think because he grew immune to it. The silly oaf was always so clumbsy...about a month after he had been taken inside, I stupidly left a cup in his cage filled with pumpkin seeds that we gave him. He got his head stuck in it in the middle of the night and sufficated. You could imagine how heartbreaking it was when I found the sight. To this day, I've never left a bird with a cup near them. They always get put away. He was my favorite rooster. I treasured him.

Although this was mostly my fault, I think still think Sultans are always getting into trouble. My hen, when she was about 3 months old, got sick quite a few times. It was only a little cold, but she was so droopy, she had to be taken away from her broodmates just so I could perk her up without worrying that someone was going to step on her. Treated with VetRX and she was fine thereafter. But I must admit that both Sultans were somewhat flaky little ones. Both of them have also captured a special place in my heart.
smile.png
I hope you find the same.

they do require special attention in most cases, a wet environment doesnt suit them from my experience. but in right environment they are really fun to watch i decided to try again with them, ive got 9 of them in brooder. im considering working with them and trying a color project as well just a fyi: the original line supoosedly went extinct and were recreated. so why not a little color, maybe blue? what u guys think?

Quote:
I would love that. One thing that's actually on my list of things I want to do in the future is breeding Sultans. They have blues and blacks and cuckoos in the UK and other places, the exact countries escape me. But from the pictures I've seen, quality is very poor. They really need alot of help.

Quote:
I would love that. One thing that's actually on my list of things I want to do in the future is breeding Sultans. They have blues and blacks and cuckoos in the UK and other places, the exact countries escape me. But from the pictures I've seen, quality is very poor. They really need alot of help.

the UK got it all over there.

Back
Top Bottom