1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sumatra Chicken flying

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RedJungleFowl, Mar 26, 2017.

1. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    Can they really fly? Web sites states that they're the only breed to still be able to retain the flying ability. Thus, it lead me to wonder if they can take off like a pheasants if they needed too? At least that's what one site has told me they could. Maybe the bantam version could? But the Standard if hard to believe that they could take off like a pheasant. Really curious if they could or not. Pic/Vid would be great if ya have any :)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I had a Sumatra roosters a few years back and he couldn't fly anymore than any other chicken. Some bantams can get good lift and get up a bit higher, but I haven't seen any actual flying, just some gliding.

3. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    I have 4 chicks, who have not been exceptional fliers. A friend had a hen, who was a good flyer but not pheasant good.

4. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Game chickens fly very well. Very fast.

5. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    Aw that's sad to hear. I was really hoping that the site was telling the truth. Wonder if those sites that I've been visiting are putting false info there then.

6. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    Really? If you don't mind sharing some stories?

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I've raised Sumatras for over 15 years, and yes they can fly very well. I've had some fly straight up 10 feet or more when spooked and fly over a quarter mile before coming down.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

9. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Well, yesterday would be a good example. Looked out my kitchen window in time to see a coyote chasing my hens around the front yard. Two of the hens are pure game hens, and another is half game chicken, but is built like the game hen who is her mother. Anyway, those hens took off flying to the trees like bullets. The half game hen flew around the side of my house with the coyote jumping up trying to grab her in mid air. By that time I was out the door with the dogs, yelling. Coyotes sure can disappear quick. So far, all three of my girls are ok, but it's time to start thinking about a real coop and run.
    Forgot to add. The coyote had killed all of my non game hens previously. I had 16. They just can't get away quick enough. Shouldn't have to, though. I should have protected them better.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Once a coyote gets lucky they will keep coming back. They are wickedly smart and they learn your patterns. A gun is the only way to take care of a coyote problem, which also is hard to do. Otherwise lock up your birds in a secured run indefinitely. It will keep coming back unfortunately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by