Sumatra gender help...updated pics

F8A29F66-510F-40BD-BCB5-23C28EDB5F81.jpeg
F018F6D6-96E2-431F-AE4B-C63071E315C0.jpeg
0AC1708D-6F17-4E21-A9F0-A9465B6FC7F5.jpeg
I would agree! :) My Bali is quite the little charmer.....manipulative, too. ;)
How on Earth do you keep Birdie in check under those circumstances? :eek::lol:

~Alex

The first night I got her she flew out of her brooder. I didn’t realize this tiny chick would need a top on her brooder!! Woke up to her jumping around the living room :weeand poop everywhere!! Then my friend google told me Sumatras are great flyers! I learned really quick haha.

Added some cute pics just because they’re cute. Baby birdie!

Last edited:
I do! Birdie is probably my favorite because she’s so sweet. She wasn’t always super sweet. She was more feisty but with a lot of handeling and patience she became a really nice little bird! And that would be great if you became a Sumatra breeder. They are super hard to find and when you find them they usually don’t ship chicks. So the more Sumatra breeders the better!
Thank You fro the encouragement to become a Sumatra breeder. My very first Sumatra was a black pullet named Cobalt. When I bought her she was suppose to be blue thus giving her the name Cobalt but turned out to be black. I fell in love with the breed after Cobalt and have been through many trying to find another friendly chicken. I don't have a very good streak of finding good replacements of my favorite chickens to get more friendly ones especially Sumatra.:lol::lau

One more question.. not sure where Melon is from (love the name btw!) and I’m assuming it depends on their lines but when she she start laying? I keep finding conflicting info so I’m trying to figure out a ballpark. And when did she become full grown size wise?
I got the name Melon from a kpop music awards show. I honestly don't know about lines but ballpark got my first egg around 8 months or so maybe more closer to 9 months. I honestly don't remember the age that I got my first egg. As far as full grown my guess is around 10 to 12 months old size wise. I'm very sorry if it sounds confusing.

:lau
I got the name Melon from a kpop music awards show. I honestly don't know about lines but ballpark got my first egg around 8 months or so maybe more closer to 9 months. I honestly don't remember the age that I got my first egg. As far as full grown my guess is around 10 to 12 months old size wise. I'm very sorry if it sounds confusing.

No not confusing at all! Makes sense.

Sounds like Birdie has a lot of growing to do. And a while before laying any eggs. But that’s okay.

Super funny you got melon from a KPop music award show!! What was she in a kpop music video? Lol. You lucked out either way. It’s really hard to find Sumatras! And yes, friendly and Sumatras really don’t go well. They are not exactly a willing to please breed. They’re almost like cats, only want to hangout when they need something :lau
Birdie is still kinda like this even though she’s sweet. Honestly I think what made her sweeter was getting bullied by the silkie. And I thought the silkie was supposed to be the nice one!

View attachment 1636286 View attachment 1636287 View attachment 1636285

The first night I got her she flew out of her brooder. I didn’t realize this tiny chick would need a top on her brooder!! Woke up to her jumping around the living room :weeand poop everywhere!! Then my friend google told me Sumatras are great flyers! I learned really quick haha.

Added some cute pics just because they’re cute. Baby birdie!
So cute, it should be illegal. :love:lol: All snug as a bug in a rug. :love

What a mischievous munchkin! You know they're going to be trouble when they start getting into everything at a young age. ;) She hasn't changed a bit since, I assume? :):lol:

~Alex

:lau

No not confusing at all! Makes sense.

Sounds like Birdie has a lot of growing to do. And a while before laying any eggs. But that’s okay.

Super funny you got melon from a KPop music award show!! What was she in a kpop music video? Lol. You lucked out either way. It’s really hard to find Sumatras! And yes, friendly and Sumatras really don’t go well. They are not exactly a willing to please breed. They’re almost like cats, only want to hangout when they need something :lau
Birdie is still kinda like this even though she’s sweet. Honestly I think what made her sweeter was getting bullied by the silkie. And I thought the silkie was supposed to be the nice one!
No she was not in a music video lol. I'm a big fan of Kpop music so I decided to name a chicken something kpop related. I actually had 2 splash sumatra girls but the other one died in a freak accident somewhere in the yard and her name was Inkigayo (which is the name of another kpop music show). I agree that friendly and Sumatra don't go together but my main breeding rooster is a blue Sumatra and his name is Whiney Whinerton and he his an extremely friendly rooster. Birdie is an extremely cute chick being snug. I hope to get more Sumatras in the spring from a local country store. I'm hoping to get a splash rooster to breed with Melon. How long have you had chickens? I've had chickens for

:gig
So cute, it should be illegal. :love:lol: All snug as a bug in a rug. :love

What a mischievous munchkin! You know they're going to be trouble when they start getting into everything at a young age. ;) She hasn't changed a bit since, I assume? :):lol:

~Alex
Nope! Not really! Still a little jerk but also sweet. She gets sweeter with age. Or maybe smarter. Maybe she gets “sweeter” aka she knows I’ll bring her more treats :gig

She’s a character though. The only chicken I have that knows her name too. Whenever I am walking up to her coop to hangout with her she flies (literally) downstairs from her coop down to her run, waits by the door, does this chicken tribal dance thing, looks at me to make sure I’m watching her and then goes bak bak beeeegawwwwkk lol. She’s too funny.

She still can fly way too well lol. I thought you were a chicken not like a real bird right?! When she used to still live in a brooder, I’d put her in this little planter with Fifi the silkie. Birdie would fly right out and fly up into the tree or what not. Fifi would flap her wings as hard as she could and trying and trying, with her feet barely leaving the ground. Poor silkie thing kept smacking herself into the tree trying to get up there with Birdie and would just cry out of frustration.

It’s funny having them together. They’re so different but they both don’t realize they are different breeds that have their own breed strengths.

Back
Top Bottom